Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question for you veteran hunters... >

Question for you veteran hunters...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question for you veteran hunters...

Old 08-02-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Question for you veteran hunters...

I was wondering if you guys would look at this arrow setup and see what you would shoot. I am considering going back to a 100 grain point. Check these specs and see what you would do. I know bowhunting is a lot about opinion but I enjoy hearing the good information from the experienced guys on this site. Thank for any help.

Bow: Mathews LX @ 67 lbs
Arrow: Goldtip 7595 XT Camo Hunter @ 29 "
Release: True short n sweet
Sight: Copper John Dead Nuts
Broadhead: 125 gr Thunderhead or ???

What would you hunt with and still have good flight (100, 115, 125,etc.)
Let me know what you think.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for you veteran hunters...

I don't think you'll see much difference between the 100 and the 125... most 125s have a little greater FOC and a slightly larger cutting diameter. This could cause an increase in planing.. but I've never had and issue w/ it. I don't really worry much about point weight.. as long as FOC is good and they fly well.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:25 PM

Why change - if it's working - it's not broke---why fix it? But if you like to play around like I do - I'd go with the 100g magnus stinger 4-blade. They should group just right.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

The biggest thing you need to consider is arrow spine. You do not want an arrow too stiff or too soft. It looks like you set up will work. You are shooting the 7595's, why not the 5575's. the 7595's should work fine but they might not give you the ULTIMATE arrow flight. I am not too familiar with the Mathews stuff, maybe you need a heavier, stiffer arrow for that set-up. One thing for sure is you should have no problem with penetration. Good luck with your set-up. JMHO.[8D]
Old 08-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nebuckhunter

I was wondering if you guys would look at this arrow setup and see what you would shoot. I am considering going back to a 100 grain point. Check these specs and see what you would do. I know bowhunting is a lot about opinion but I enjoy hearing the good information from the experienced guys on this site. Thank for any help.

Bow: Mathews LX @ 67 lbs
Arrow: Goldtip 7595 XT Camo Hunter @ 29 "
Release: True short n sweet
Sight: Copper John Dead Nuts
Broadhead: 125 gr Thunderhead or ???

What would you hunt with and still have good flight (100, 115, 125,etc.)
Let me know what you think.
Assuming you are using vanes, I would say spine w/ 125 grain heads at that arrow length should OK, but could be borderline knowing what I do about the LX & the HP cam. If you are using feathers I would definitely drop to a 100 grain head.

Of course as another poster said though..if it's working OK and you are happy with your tune and groups, then I wouldn't change. If however you feel you are not getting the accuracy you should, you may consider going to a lighter point.