Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead tuning for optimal flight >

Broadhead tuning for optimal flight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead tuning for optimal flight

Old 07-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead tuning for optimal flight

One of the things that has troubled me for a long time, is there seems to be great disparities of thought regarding how to acheive optimal broadhead flight. I think that with today's technologies and the power generated by our modern equipment that tuning has never been more important. What I am looking for here is for a discussion in which we can discuss the issue and see if we can come to some kind of consensus of what is proper tuning to acheive optimal broadhead flight.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Broadhead tuning for optimal flight

Buckfevr

My penny’s worth;

One can tune a bow with a proper set up fall-away rest to shoot bullet holes in paper at any distance in a few shots. See my post on bent bow arm.

But to stabilize a Broadhead is a different animal.
If one shoots the common fixed blade broadhead fast on a light arrow with 3” off-set fletching it will fly like a dive bomber on a run.
If you shoot it show enough, & tie a parachute on the end(5” helical fletch) it will be stable.
If you want to jack them up to high speeds, for perhaps setting the first sight pin at 25 or 30 yds to stop confusion there is perhaps a way.
Some Broadheads are sold nowadays that aid the fletching & stop a lot of the erratics.
Or if one in good in a shop the same thing can be done to most broadheads.
Now if you want to know about people who may stabilize broadheads @ about 310 fps you can call Carbon Tech & one of the people there appears to know people who can. You can find their number in most Archery Mags.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

As far as the broadhead only is concerned the only thing that needs to happen is it must have straight blades and be perfectly center to the arrow.

Now when you take into account the entire tuning process you have properly spined arrows, Center shot, nock high or low, type of rest, spring tension on the rest, fletching contact, vane or feather, length of fletching, right or left helical/ offset or striaght fletch, cam lean, diameter of the arrow, FOC, length of arrow, speed of arrow, tiller, string strech, peep movement, type of nocking system, human influences, ...................... Any one else care to add something?

And no two bows or shooters will ever be exactly the same.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:16 AM

bigbulls

As for me, if I had to check out all of the items stated, each time I bring out the broadheads for hunting, I do not believe I would be hunting that much. And I deem, some of these items much more important than others. As fletching contact, Arrow Speed, & Arrow Rest(as you can tell by the Posts here the last few months, the fall-away rest can cut down on tuning time by a large margin.)
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

the fall-away rest can cut down on tuning time by a large margin.)
NOT , I belive the opposite to be true , especialy when we are talking about single cam bows
Old 07-27-2004, 12:45 PM

I am gonna have to second jimmy on that one
Old 07-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now when you take into account the entire tuning process you have properly spined arrows, Center shot, nock high or low, type of rest, spring tension on the rest, fletching contact, vane or feather, length of fletching, right or left helical/ offset or striaght fletch, cam lean, diameter of the arrow, FOC, length of arrow, speed of arrow, tiller, string strech, peep movement, type of nocking system, human influences, ...................... Any one else care to add something?
Probably not (nothing more to add), ---good post. I think that the human factor or what I would call form consistancies could be number one on the list though.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:34 PM

(as you can tell by the Posts here the last few months, the fall-away rest can cut down on tuning time by a large margin.)
LOL

Who you work For

I have to say.....half the stuff you say make absolutely No Sense......and the other half is......well plain damn funny
Old 07-27-2004, 01:59 PM

LMAO @ rack...
Old 07-27-2004, 03:09 PM

help me out here regarding rests. why are drop aways harder to tune? I went into a shop looking for a whisker biscuit and basically got laughed at because "there ain't no whitetail treestand hunting around here" then pointed me to a Rip Cord drop away. I didn't realize that whisker biscuits were treestand only rests, or best suited for treestands. So now I go a searching for drop aways, looking at the Quick Tune 2000. I just bought a PSE Beast bare bow from a pro shop. Shot a few but for the price, $169, it felt pretty good. I need to piece the rest together, pun intended. Above I read that using drop aways with a single cam bow isn't very easy to tune. what gives?

Quick Reply: Broadhead tuning for optimal flight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.