Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

releases

Old 08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: releases

Another vote for the short and sweet. Lovin it!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carter, Tru-Ball, and Scott all make great releases. Some of the better (i.e. more expensive) releases from Tru-Fire (hurricane, badger) are also pretty darn good for the $ Fletcher makes a good release too.

I've not had much luck with Cobra or the cheaper Tru-fire releases.

Scott and especially Tru-Ball are the best values on the market.

One note about Tru-ball, you have to folow the instructions, and set the releases up correctly from the get go, otherwise you'll have the premature fires.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a drawer full of releases and decided I prefer to use a finger tab or glove. [&:] But one thing I can tell you to keep you from coldcocking yourself...

Do not draw straight back toward your face with ANY release. Draw low, to the point of the shoulder, until you get the string back. THEN, raise the release hand to your anchor. That way, if the release jumps off the string as you're drawing, you'll hit yourself in the chest or shoulder - or maybe not even hit yourself at all - instead of busting yourself in that thing that used to be your mouth.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:53 AM

The most popular for hunters are made by Scott, Tru-ball and Winn. They have many different styles and depending on what you like, you may prefer one over another. For the most part, Tru-ball has some trigger-travel before the release goes off. Some people hate this. Myself, I like it and shoot a Tru-ball. The Scotts are adjustable for pressure, but have little to no trigger travel before firing. Many people find the Winn glove releases to allow them to pull higher draw weights easier. Which ever you decide on, make sure you consider the type of head on the release. Some are designed for connecting to the string, while others are good at attaching to loops.

Good luck,
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm..... I've had great luck with the Tru-Fire products (Magnum and Split-Fire wrist releases). They clip right on the bow string securely and I've never had a premature release happen. The main reason I like them is the swiveling head, so there is absolutely ZERO string torque.

Butch A.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 PM

Winn Free Flight it is smooth and never gave me a problem.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love my Fletchunter!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:15 PM

The posts above list a lot of good releases.

For something as important as a release, don't shop at Wally-World or one of the other big box stores. Go to a real archery shop and be willing to spend a few bucks. You can get a good functional release for hunting in the $50.00 range. It will pay over time.

Good luck
Allen