Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Split or solid limbs ? (poll) >

Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

Old 07-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Split or solid limbs ? (poll)

I've only had one limb failure in the last 15 years, and that was, ironically enough, a Hoyt solid limb bow.(Superslam Supreme) The limb split at one of the forks.

I do think that split limbs bend more evenly, since they don't need the reiforcement at the fork of the limb. Some solid designs (PSE and others) have such a long reinforced area that is very thick that only a small part of the limb actually flexes and stores energy. That has to be hard on the limb, but the materials seem to be able to take it.

True, solids need not be so wide, don't give brush an extra chance to get caught on the bow, don't require moving Limb Savers to press the bow, and probably do a better job of keeping eccentrics lined up through the draw and release cycle.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:08 PM

I currently own a Hoyt Cybertec(split-limb), also an older Hoyt Viper(split-limb)and I have owned a Mathews Q2XL. I can't tell any difference to be honest and I do't think there is any advantage or disadvantage to split limbs. As far as busting limbs---I busted a bottom limb on my Q2XL. It busted right in the middle of the limb and I was at full draw at the time. I believe that it was my fault though. You are supposed to back poundage off when pressing bows-I never did a I think I weakened the limb.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zrexpilot!

The last 3 season's I've been shooting a Golden Eagle Splitfire and this season I bought a BowTech Patriot dually ,as it stand's I can't really say which is superior split or solid limb's. I think most of the bow's biult now a day's are all quality made and shouldn't be a whole lot of difference . I've read some post's on these type of comparison's ,but I can't tell of any myself.

nubo