Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Anyone using a glove release? >

Anyone using a glove release?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anyone using a glove release?

Old 07-05-2004, 07:37 AM

Default RE: Anyone using a glove release?

I also use the Winn release and have been using for about 10 years. The things I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't fall away from your hand like a wrist release making it harder to rattle, dig in pockets for candy bars,pee in bottle,etc.In cold weather it gets a little crowded when putting the release on over a glove and the trigger gets a little harder to reach. The wide strip of velcro is extremely loud when seperating to put the release on once your in your treestand. Also like stated before I added a metal D nok on my bow to attach the release to and clicking on to it does make a noise that does draw attention.
I certainly DO like this release otherwise I wouldn't have used it this long. Just thought I'd add some negatives to go with all the positives. So many times you here how great everything is so you buy one and have to find this out yourself.[:@]
Old 07-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use Winn C-10s. I just prefer the feel of them to a wrist strap release. Earlier this year, I bought a second hand Scott Rhino when I decided it was time to switch to a D loop. It was a great release, but I could never get used to the feel of it. I don't feel that the Winn release hurts my accuracy at all, and it is much easier to draw than a wrist strap, which makes the draw seem longer to me. Like Lady Forge said, you need to relax your hand when you get to full draw. If you put pressure on the palm bar, you will torque the string.

The only disadvantages are that it is a little harder to load the release on a string loop than directly on the string, it is a little harder to pull arrows with your draw hand (probably your strongest hand), and you have to be careful when climbing into a stand with the release on as you can get metal to metal clink sounds if you hit something. If you stalk your way to your stand, as you might in the PM, you either have to be careful to avoid making contact with your ladder or stand when climbing in, or take off the release and try to cover up that velcro ripping sound when you take it off. I'm thinking about making a little leather cover for the release head to use when I'm climbing.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

My only gripe about the glove style releases is pretty much what Joe talked about. Got a handfull of bow in the left and a handfull of release on the right. It got to where I felt like I needed to hire a caddy to pull my arrows! If you have to do anything more involved than sticking an arrow on your string or pickin' your nose, you pretty much have to take the release off.

I didn't realize all the things I do with my string hand until I got a glove release, and it was constantly in my way. But that time I swatted a skeeter on the side of my face... That was the last time I wore that thing. Took nearly a week for that release-shaped bruise to fade.[:-]
Old 07-05-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I negleted to say in my previous post.... That I never recomend climbing into or out of you tree while wearing the release........ I have resigned myself to the fact that I am pretty much a 3 fingered idiot while wearing the glove [&:]......... safety is foremost when climbing, I found early on through experience that my grip on the climbing steps can be impaired by the glove release....... I wait until I am situated in my stand and then put on the glove, ya its a pain and it can be noisey with the velcro, put its a small price to pay to live to see another day.
I had the pleasure of spending a weekend last month with PSE Pro Staff Member and Professional Power Lifter Ray Howell , Ray also indorses and uses the Winn Free Flight Glove Release, Ray and I were discussing the fact that we both Bowhunt with the Winn Glove Releases and the pros and cons that come with it, you otta see the Trophy room he has with many of the animals he has taken with the Winn Glove Release, its an awesome testiment.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:13 AM

I have the Tru Ball release and like it alot. I use it with the Tru Ball nock and have had very few problems. The glove style is much more comfortable and natural feeling than the wrist versions in my opinion.

Mine seems to have a bit of a "hair trigger" but i just got myself into the habit of putting my trigger finger behind the trigger when i am drawing that way i dont accidentaly fire it while drawing, once at full draw i gently move my finger to the front and i am ready to go.