Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Interesting Chrony results >

Interesting Chrony results

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Interesting Chrony results

Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting Chrony results

Coupled with the scale Jeepnut sent me, I've been playing with different draw weights to see what I might want to hunt with this fall.

I've had no problems drawing 70# in a tree after sitting in the cold, but 62# is so freaking easy to draw it's not even funny

Anyway, set my chrony up, tested the DW, bow was still set on 62# from yesterdays shooting. Draw length is 28", arrow is a 375 grain ACC 349.

62#- 5 shot average of 275 fps. Wow, not bad at all, definitely more than I was expecting. Made me smile, kind of like this

66#- 3 shot average of 280 fps. For only 5 more fps, the noticeable ease of draw difference makes 62# a no brainer. I was kind of perplexed that I only got 5 more fps out of 5# more DW. I expected more.

70#- 3 shot average, 285, right where I was last time I chronied my set up, although my bow is now in spec with a correct and shorter draw length (about 1/2").

I have some doubt about the last two strings, as my battery was fading. Need to get a fresh one and repeat, but the results from 70# put me pretty much in the ballpark from when it was fresh.

Assuming the results hold true, my clear choices seem to be shoot at 70# with 68'#s of ke, or 62# with 63'#s of ke. 62#s is looking pretty sweet right now... Plenty of ke, almost identical tragectory out to the distances I'll shoot and so easy to draw it's comical.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Interesting Chrony results

I think that everyone has a holding weight that promotes the best accuracy. Play around with the draw weights until you see a pattern develop that you're seeing the best groups at a certain peak weight
Old 07-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That should do the job for sure. How does that Hornet feel to shoot now that you have it all tricked out? Did you post about it and I missed it?

I haven't done the test you just described, but did sneek in an old favorite, very easy-drawing #63 Darton Viper when Frank helped my chronograph my bows. It wasn't as good with the lighter arrows, but still got 270 fps with 380 gr. ACC 3/60s, and 255 fps. with 440 gr. arrows. It really only lags behind my fastest bows by about 10 fps. Like you said, draws almost too easily, and still should have plenty of punch to get the job done.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walks, I'm too cheap to shoot for groups. For what it's worth, I have the 65% let-off module, and 62# of DW is really easy to hit where I aim.

Joe, I did an update, somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is- http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...hornet&#663747
Old 07-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe you just found the poundage at which that specific arrow is most efficient. Maybe at the higher draw weights it is slightly underspined and doesn't retain energy as well.

But your point is well taken, you don't need more than 62lbs out of your setup.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming the results hold true, my clear choices seem to be shoot at 70# with 68'#s of ke, or 62# with 63'#s of ke. 62#s is looking pretty sweet right now... Plenty of ke, almost identical tragectory out to the distances I'll shoot and so easy to draw it's comical.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me! If I would have made that choice years ago I wouldn't be forced to shoot lower poundage setups now.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

how long is the arrow RB? just shaft length..not insert,uni, or g nock..
Old 07-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think buckfevr may have hit on the answer. It sounds like you found the best draw weight for the arrow that you are currently using. It makes perfect sense that as an arrow becomes more and more underspined then it would be less and less efficient. Though the arrow might still offer up good accuracy at 70 lbs I would be willing to bet that you could get better accuracy at the 62 lb draw weight.

Should've went with a "heavy 60 lb model"....:shakeshishead: [&o]

Old 07-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I think buckfevr may have hit on the answer. It sounds like you found the best draw weight for the arrow that you are currently using. It makes perfect sense that as an arrow becomes more and more underspined then it would be less and less efficient. Though the arrow might still offer up good accuracy at 70 lbs I would be willing to bet that you could get better accuracy at the 62 lb draw weight.

Should've went with a "heavy 60 lb model"....:shakeshishead: [&o]

I'm with BF and Frank. Thats where the spine is optimum. the BT PF cams, especially the older designs like a STIFF arrow. I shot 3-49s out of my 29/70 2002 Pat, and they shot field points and mechs fine, but when I put fixed blades on, thats where the weakness in spine showed up. Had to bump up to 340 class shafts to get good flight.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, finished arrow (without tip) is 27". That's with the insert, unibushing and g nock .

You guys are probably right, and I assumed the arrow/bow combo would be more effecient at the lighter poundage, as it's over 6 grains per # versus only a bit over 5 grains per # at 70#, but I was expecting a greater disparity in performance.

Pleasantly suprised that there wasn't .