Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New bow hunter with eye problems >

New bow hunter with eye problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow hunter with eye problems

Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 PM

Default New bow hunter with eye problems

I need some advice here. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have been curious about bow hunting so I purchased a used left handed bow to practice with. I have not taken the bow to be tuned yet because I want to feel somewhat confident about shooting it at the pro shop. I have received some basic instruction of experienced bow hunters about how to shoot, but all of my friends are right handed. My shots are arround the target from 10 yards but nothing consistant.

Does anyone have advice for someone with my situation.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New bow hunter with eye problems

Yes, Go to the pro shop and let them help you! No need to feel embarrassed they probably deal with dozens of new archers each year.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:23 PM

I too am also right hand left eye dominant. I bought a right hand bow and decided to close my left eye. I did that for awhile and tried to shoot with both eyes open. I used to see two images of either the pin or the target (depending on which one I focused on). I have trained myself to be right eye dominant. Now with both eyes open I can see the target more clearly and have a bigger range of view. Plus I shoot more accuratly.

Don't worry about being convident before you take it to the bow shop. Let them teach you. Thats what I did.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:30 PM

zak I understand what you are describing because I shoot a handgun that same way. My bow has a peep sight on it, do you recommend that I do something else?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take up thy bow and get thee hence to the pro shop.

Let them get the bow tuned up for you. They can also help you correct any shooting form mistakes you are likely making. You do not want to keep struggling on by yourself, trying to get your confidence up, while developing bad habits that may be next to impossible to break later on.

Besides, when the bow is tuned you just might find out you're shooting a lot better than you think you are. An untuned bow will often not shoot two arrows to the same point of impact.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also RH and Left eye dominant.

Once I found out I switched to lefty for a few years. Go tired of having to special order everything and went back to righty shooting.

Should have kept shooting lefty. Now I'm older and my left eye is near perfect but my right eye gets worse every year.

I've tried going back to lefty, but I can't seem to pick it up again as well as I originally did. When I get frustrated, I start shooting my righty bows again..which is a mistake.

One of these days, I'm going to just get rid of the righties I have and have only a lefty in my posession.

I would suggest you learn to shoot with your dominant eye, and get to that pro-shop..learn correct form from the beginning from a qualified person, and you'll be much happier as the years pass, and will not struggle nearly as much.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:06 PM

hey fatboy dont expect things to happen to quick.find your perfect draw length and anchor,have the bow shop check your back elbow to make sure it is lined up properly with your anchor pt. practice alot and try to be consistant with your release and anchor pt each shot.dont over bow yourself for thats a big mistake.if you need to lower the poundage do so just starting out. its not a macho thing its a simple guideline to be more consistant.dont worry about if your buddys kid you a little if they are pulling more weight.i see that happen all the time with someone starting out.if you listen to a avid archer you will learn alot quicker and improve sooner.the worst thing to do is get highly frustrated with yourself. have fun with the sport and listen to good advise.learn all you can! pay attetion as far as how to tune your bow at the pro shop snd if you have any questions feel free to ask! you have already took the first step on becoming a better archer just by asking questions. good luck!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:28 PM

I'm RH and left eye dominant also. Since i started shooting guns, i've learned to shoot right handed...i never found out that i was left eye dominant until i first started shooting a bow. i was always used to closing the one eye anyway. with a rifle, i can still nail a running deer at 250 yards with one eye closed. it doesnt bother me. same with a bow. i still shoot the same groups as everyone else does, i just gotta close my left eye. it doesnt bug me. its to the point where im so right handed i can't change. i tried shooting lefty last year at the JAKES day, and was not comfortable at all with it. I dont plan on changing anytime soon either.

slayer
Old 07-05-2004, 09:27 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I am off to my pro shop and more instruction.