Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Maxi-hunter problems >

Maxi-hunter problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxi-hunter problems

Old 01-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Maxi-hunter problems

A while back I asked for some recommendations for other projectiles for my .50cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle (1:60" twist). I got several recommendations, but have only found the Maxi-hunters locally. At some point I'll try to pick up the others, perhaps by ordering online.

Anyway, I was out shooting this past weekend to resight in the gun with new sights on it, and gave the maxi-hunters a try once I had it centered back up with roundballs. I tried the maxi-hunters with 80gr of FFF, no wad...and they would hardly hit paper at 75 yards. They seemed far to easy to load, like they're undersized for my bore. It took just a little bit of pressure from the starter to get it in, but then it took almost no pressure whatsoever to push down with the ramrod. Also, when I would swab after a shot the patches were MUCH dirtier than when shooting roundball. I'm kinda wondering if the bullet is fitting too loosely and the powder is blowing past to some extent, and the bullet isn't ever filling into the rifling. Has anyone else had this problem with the maxi-hunter's, and is there a solution? For those of you who have used other short conicals (I've also had the ball-et and the PA Conical recommended to me), have you found that any of the others offer a tighter fit?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Maxi-hunter problems

I was reading an excellent book by Toby Bridges, "Advanced Blackpowder Hunting" and he described using the short R.E.A.L. conicals in a 1:66 .45 Squirrel-Gun with excellent results. He took an antelope pretty far out with it.

The molds are pretty reasonably priced. You'll want the shortest bearing surface you can manage at your rate of twist.

Fact is, my father has that same mold and we've got a good supply of lead layed-up. I'd be willing to maybe cast you up a dozen or so to try out if you want to e-mail me on it.

BrushPopper
Old 01-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting ball-ets out of my Renegade (1-48 twist)the other day and had to use a short starter to get them going. They seemed a tight fit. Whether the same would hold true in your rifle is hard to say. Since you have a 1-60 twist you are going to be limited a little to roundball and short conicals I think. In my 1-66 twist I shoot roundball, the lightest ball-ets, and like you, I want to try some PA Conicals but I think they are a lot like a ball-et actually.

How does the rifle group roundball by the way?

Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RiverOtter

A while back I asked for some recommendations for other projectiles for my .50cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle (1:60" twist). I got several recommendations, but have only found the Maxi-hunters locally. At some point I'll try to pick up the others, perhaps by ordering online.

Anyway, I was out shooting this past weekend to resight in the gun with new sights on it, and gave the maxi-hunters a try once I had it centered back up with roundballs. I tried the maxi-hunters with 80gr of FFF, no wad...and they would hardly hit paper at 75 yards. They seemed far to easy to load, like they're undersized for my bore. It took just a little bit of pressure from the starter to get it in, but then it took almost no pressure whatsoever to push down with the ramrod. Also, when I would swab after a shot the patches were MUCH dirtier than when shooting roundball. I'm kinda wondering if the bullet is fitting too loosely and the powder is blowing past to some extent, and the bullet isn't ever filling into the rifling. Has anyone else had this problem with the maxi-hunter's, and is there a solution? For those of you who have used other short conicals (I've also had the ball-et and the PA Conical recommended to me), have you found that any of the others offer a tighter fit?
Hard to help without knowing what bullet grain size or what powder you used. Some powders push the bullet faster than others. Really, in 50-cal, anything over 270 gr Maxihunter is too much bullet for that twist. the 240/245 gr PA Conicals and Buffalo Ballets are better choices. If that was the 270 gr, back down to 70 grains & put a wonderwad behind the bullet.

No guaranteesless powder or a wad will work. Some of those new Great Plains barrelshave rifling burrs from the factory. You may need to shoot acouple hundred rounds of conicals to smooth it out/break it in.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

like said, go to lightest maxi-hunter in that twist.i tried maxi-hunters in my TC HAWKINS 50 CAL 1-48 twist. they were terrible.i called thompson and they said the maxi-hunters are not good in the 1-48 twist.they said MAXI-BALL is LONGER and will stabilize better. what a difference using .370 gr MAXI-BALL in the 1-48 twist. been using them for 30 years or more.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I would say the Maxi is too long for the riling in your barrel to effectively stablize which is why they are tumbling downrange.

If you are looking for a bit more anvil down range I would go to a short conical such as the Hornady PA 240gr Conical which shoot very well from all of my 1:66" rifling:

https://www.hornady.com/shop/

50 CAL 240 GR PA CONICAL

[align=center]Item No.[/align]
[align=center]Price[/align]
[align=center] [/align]

[align=center]6617[/align]
[align=center]$9.51[/align]

The ideal choice for any hunter who wants to use a longer-barreled, slower twist firearm. Hornady's PA Conical bullets deliver greater accuracy and more knock-down power. Our PA bullets are pre-lubed with special knurled grooves on the bearing surface to hold the lubricant on the bullet — no need for a patch or sabot. Packaged 50 per box.

or a 245gr Buffalo Ball-et

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0020974 210223a&navCount=4&podId=0020974&paren tId=cat200005&navAction=push&catalogCode=I G&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200 005&hasJS=true

Tahquamenon
Old 01-19-2006, 03:06 PM

Cayugad: The roundballs are shooting about a 3" group at 70 yards with 65gr of FFF Goex (.490 ball with .015 patch). This group is mostly limited by my sights/target combination, as the sights have a white dot, and the targets are white with orange boxes...the dot pretty much covers up the center of the target so it's not much of an exact science. Operator error should be decreased when I get some dark targets to put up there. At 25 yards it's grouping at around an inch or less for 3 shot groups. I do intend to give the ball-et a chance when I can get my hands on them, as well as the PA conicals. Sounds like I need to place an order...anyone know where I can order both at the same time to save on shipping?

Triple Se7ev: Maxi-hunters were .50cal 275gr (the lightest maxi in .50cal), pushed by 80gr of FFF Goex. I'll try backing the powder down and put a wad behind it. Thanks for the advise.

BrushPopper: Thanks for the suggestion and offer...as of right now I don't cast my own bullets, and I will have to rely on a factory offering to fulfill replenishment needs, so I'm going to pass on your offer. I do appreciate the offer however.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM

If you do decide that you would like to try the R.E.A.L bullets you can purchase 320 gr R.E.A.L. bullets from www.blackjackhill.com . I purchased someof them as well as a few other types of lead bullets to break in the barrel on my muzzleloader with. Since I just received them 2 days ago Ihaven't had a chance to shoot any of the bullets I ordered, but after lookingthem over I can say that they did an excellent job of casting.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 AM

The trick to using a maxi or Conical type bullet in a roundball twist is light weight. for the 50 caliber a 300 is best but 350 will work and a max powder charge anything less will not yield good results as you have already seen. In a 54 caliber Great Plains, max powder charge at 400 grain conical (Oh bullets must be flat based, cups bases don't work well at all.) and max powder charge if I rememebr right 110 or 120 grains yielded 1.5" at a 100 yards.