Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 60lb draw weight >

60lb draw weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

60lb draw weight

Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 60lb draw weight

Frank, curious what you feel the cutting diameter limit you'd feel comfortable with at 60#.
RB,

Sometimes I tend to be on the overly cautious side of things. With a 60 lb peak weight I will be getting around 62 ft. lbs of KE with my setup. I was planning on going with the Steelheads as their 1 1/8 cutting diameter should still slice quite well right through a whitetail. A sidewinder might work but with a 1.5 inch cutting diameter I would be afraid that I might be marginal.

I would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally never shot a deer with an expandable broadhead, but I do know a guy pretty well that has been using them exclusively for several years. He uses the Sidewinders and shoots an early '90's vintage XI with #60 draw weight. He isn't real tall, so I'm guessing he has a 29" draw at most. He claims to get pass through penetration on just about every deer he shoots.[:-]
Old 07-01-2004, 12:15 AM

"Hey Guys" don't get off line, Roch. just want's to know your set up and if you get good pentration with it ? In my state 40 lbs. is legal so we know it can kill, so let's help him out with passthrough.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both my bows are 60lbers.

03 Pat Dually
Complete pass through on a buck @ 17 yards the arrow hit a rock on the other side and was last seen heading for the next county.

Almost a complete pass through on a hog @ 32 yds but it was my fault I hit too far forward and hit the gristle plate but the tip of the broad head was sticking out of the skin on the oppisite side after busting through both shoulders.
If I had of hit a few inches further back the arrow would have got a complete pass through.

As of yet the only thing I have shot with my 04 Black Knight is about 40 rabbits at work all pass throughs
Old 07-01-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

As of yet the only thing I have shot with my 04 Black Knight is about 40 rabbits at work all pass throughs
I read about that massacre at Petsmart.

That was you?

Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rocket used to have speed ratings for their heads on their web site. I guess they figure a certain FPS carries a certain KE adequate to get the job done. However, they've apparently not included this info in their new site.

From memory, I think the fps rating was pretty low for the 1.5" heads, like 240ish.

I personally don't think 1.5" cut at 60'#s of ke is a problem, especially after I sharpen them up
Old 07-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I am good friends with a lady that shoots 52 pounds with 75 gr broadheads. she had killed brown bear, eland, she killed an elk at 60 yards this previous year and had a complete pass through. just remember that 60 pounds in the right spot is better than 70 in the shoulder
Old 07-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read about that massacre at Petsmart.

That was you?
Yeah it was me and the article also made it into the National Enquirer as well as the Peta news letter
Old 07-02-2004, 06:43 AM

I shoot 60 pounds with a 26" draw and ACC 328 with NAP spitfire expandables. I have no problem with pass through on Whitetails.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Eider

I shoot 60 pounds with a 26" draw and ACC 328 with NAP spitfire expandables. I have no problem with pass through on Whitetails.
Which bow?

Wow. That sounds like a lower energy set up with a higher energy required broadhead. Perfect test case

Could you please expand on what kind of shot angles, distances, where the deer was hit, bone encountered, size of deer, etc., anything else you feel relevant in regards to "no problems with pass through on Whitetails"?

Would love to hear more. And please refresh my memory as to how large a cutting diameter the spitfires have.

Quick Reply: 60lb draw weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.