Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many of you

Old 06-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many of you

retire an arrow after you kill a deer with it? I use to but then I started to look at it a little different. Now I continue to use an arrow that I have good luck with as my "primary arrow". In other words I always load that arrow first. At least until it no longer shoots well. Then I retire the arrow, hopefully having killed 3-5 deer. What do you guys do?
Old 06-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you

Like you, I USED to retire arrows that killed deer. But when the price of arrows began increasing dramatically, I thought about the box of dirty, blood covered arrows that sat in the corner of a dark closet and changed my mind.

Now, I clean the arrow, fire it at a target a couple times to make sure it's straight, replace the blades, spin test it again and put it back in the quiver. I don't necessarily pick it first though--I rotate my arrows.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My arrows are in it for the long haul...
Old 06-29-2004, 02:22 PM

I will when i get my first deer (second year bowhunting) with a bow. After that the only reason I would retire an arrow if i got the head mounted, which with my luck will not happen for a long time.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Last year, 1 Goldtip, 2 bucks and 2 does.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:27 PM

We have so much money here on lawng Island - when I shoot a deer I retire the entire dozen that that arrow came from [:-][8D]

Sometimes it gets retired sometimes not - I really don't keep track of em

I try to keep superstitions and luck charms out of the picture
Old 06-29-2004, 02:45 PM

I usually retire the aarow with the deer. Esspecially if it's a good buck. I hang the aarow in the antlers.

I have a good 8 that has three aarows in the rack,(only one with blood) thats a long story...
Old 06-29-2004, 02:48 PM

I figure if it's proven itself once.......it'll do it again !!
Old 06-29-2004, 03:39 PM

I always use the same proven arrow, though it has nothing to do with luck. It has been tested to shoot perfectly straight (which I do again after each deer shot). It is not used for practice and therefore has lots of life left in it.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:56 PM

I always retire the arrow. Figure it did the job and serves as a reminder of the hunt. I keep them in my bow rack. With the cost of archery what is a few dollars for an arrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.