HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   How many of you (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/64810-how-many-you.html)

silentassassin 06-29-2004 02:05 PM

How many of you

retire an arrow after you kill a deer with it? I use to but then I started to look at it a little different. Now I continue to use an arrow that I have good luck with as my "primary arrow". In other words I always load that arrow first. At least until it no longer shoots well. Then I retire the arrow, hopefully having killed 3-5 deer. What do you guys do?

DaveH 06-29-2004 02:10 PM

RE: How many of you

Like you, I USED to retire arrows that killed deer. But when the price of arrows began increasing dramatically, I thought about the box of dirty, blood covered arrows that sat in the corner of a dark closet and changed my mind.

Now, I clean the arrow, fire it at a target a couple times to make sure it's straight, replace the blades, spin test it again and put it back in the quiver. I don't necessarily pick it first though--I rotate my arrows.

Rangeball 06-29-2004 02:14 PM

My arrows are in it for the long haul... :)

Krotalus 06-29-2004 02:22 PM

I will when i get my first deer (second year bowhunting) with a bow. After that the only reason I would retire an arrow if i got the head mounted, which with my luck will not happen for a long time.

6ptsika 06-29-2004 02:27 PM

Last year, 1 Goldtip, 2 bucks and 2 does.

Rack-attack 06-29-2004 02:27 PM

We have so much money here on lawng Island - when I shoot a deer I retire the entire dozen that that arrow came from [:-]:D:D[8D]

Sometimes it gets retired sometimes not - I really don't keep track of em

I try to keep superstitions and luck charms out of the picture;)

$hooter 06-29-2004 02:45 PM

I usually retire the aarow with the deer. Esspecially if it's a good buck. I hang the aarow in the antlers.

I have a good 8 that has three aarows in the rack,(only one with blood) thats a long story...

CBM SC 06-29-2004 02:48 PM

I figure if it's proven itself once.......it'll do it again !! ;)

Straightarrow 06-29-2004 03:39 PM

I always use the same proven arrow, though it has nothing to do with luck. It has been tested to shoot perfectly straight (which I do again after each deer shot). It is not used for practice and therefore has lots of life left in it.

Roland from Calif. 06-29-2004 04:56 PM

I always retire the arrow. Figure it did the job and serves as a reminder of the hunt. I keep them in my bow rack. With the cost of archery what is a few dollars for an arrow.