Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Please Help Tuning mY bow >

Please Help Tuning mY bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Please Help Tuning mY bow

Old 06-25-2004, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Please Help Tuning mY bow

What is the first thing I should do. 2nd. 3rd. 4th. etc

ANY help would be appreciated

Trapper_Hunter
Old 06-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Please Help Tuning mY bow

Send me the bow and the .54 Hawken. I'll send you back a tuned bow.

Well, since I know you ain't gonna fall for that... The way I prepare a bow for tuning:

First thing to do is stretch a string across both axles and measure from the string to the belly side of the limbs at each end of the riser. Adjust the limb bolts until you get the same measurement at both ends. That is called 'even tiller.'

Then, take your bow square and mark out a point on your string that is directly across from the centerline of arrow rest mounting hole. Then center an arrow nock over that mark and use it as a gage to establish your nockset.

Then, adjust the height of your arrow rest so that when you load an arrow on the rest and eyeball it from the side, the arrow is centered up on that mounting hole.

After that, it gets a little tricky. On some bows, you can eyeball the string from behind so that it splits the handle, then adjust the centershot of your rest so the string splits the arrow all the way to the point. On some bows, you can eyeball the centershot from above and center the arrow up on the stabilizer. If your limbs are parallel all the way to the ends, you can measure from the edge of the limb to the string groove on the cam. Then put a piece of masking tape on the belly side of each limb and mark that distance on each tape. Center the string up on those marks and adjust centershot by that.

Those steps will get you close enough to begin tuning. It would help if you'd list what kind of rest you have because there are tuning procedures that are kinda specific to the rest. Also, do you shoot a string loop or do you hook the release directly to the string... or do you shoot fingers? With fingers there's a different beginning centershot adjustment, where the tip of the arrow is set slightly outside the string when it's centered.

A little more info would help get you going.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is a TM Hunter Rest. I shoot with a release. No string loop though. Peep site, Kisser button;

Anything else

Trapper_Hunter
Old 06-25-2004, 06:10 PM

start off about 5 to ten yards and see where the arrows hittin...then move the sight pin to where the arrow hits dead center....step back to 10-15 yards this is where you should sight ur first pin in ...shoot it a few times and adjust the sights till its accurate ...step back the distance you want ur next pin...( mines 25 yrds)....then the last pin...( mines at 30-35) thats how i tune mine up and check all the ranges once more with ur sighted pins to make sure they're accurate....
Old 06-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oooooooo...... I HATE tuning TM Hunters! Can't adjust this without losing that, fix that and the other goes out the window. You gotta hold your mouth just right when you tighten the last screw or you lose it all. Exasperating dang things! [:@]

Okay, enough rant. [8D]

Start off by making sure you have enough clearance between the prongs to let your fletching slide by without contact. I like to let the arrow sit down pretty deep inside the prongs, as long as the fletching clears. Like that, you can turn the bow nearly flat, either way, without the arrow falling out of the rest.

I see a lot of people with their prongs so close together the arrow is just sitting on top. When the arrow is that high, the wind turbulence from a mosquito flying by will knock it off.

Also, make sure both prongs are exactly the same height. One prong being higher than the other will tend to steer the arrow away from the higher prong, and the bow won't tune right.

You need to adjust the spring tension on the rest so that when you load an arrow onto it and press the arrow down, the rest brings the arrow all the way back up when you turn loose of it, without bouncing the arrow up off the prongs.

After you get all those things taken care of, head over to Easton's website and download their tuning guide. That will tell you everything else you need to know.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:11 PM

12 STEPS TO BULLETPROOF BOW TUNING

1. Pick the proper arrow.
2. Select the proper rest for your style of shooting.
3. Adjust the bow for an even tiller.
4. Adjust the draw length.
5. Time the cam(s) and mark them for future reference.
6. Adjust the nock height.
7. Adjust the center shot for the arrow rest.
8. Set the peep sight for the proper height.
9. Perform a powder test for vane clearance.
10. Paper tune the bow from two different distances.
11. Group tune the arrows by adjusting the tiller.
12. Record all measurements for future reference.

Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown