Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Dummy that needs help choosing a sight! >

Dummy that needs help choosing a sight!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dummy that needs help choosing a sight!

Old 06-17-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Dummy that needs help choosing a sight!

Guys,

I need help choosing a new sight for my '02 Patriot. I've only been bowhunting for a few years and I've always used pendulum sights. I've decided to change to pins. (That's another discussion.)

I'm looking at the Spot Hogg "Bare Bones" sight and the Extreme Sniper XLT. Any others to consider????

I need to keep it simple. The BB has 5 pins versus the three pin XLT. At this point, I'm thinking the three pin is the way to go and I like the horizontal arrangement versus the vertical setup. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a three pin setup versus the five? My setup is strictly for hunting. To be honest...I can't see myself taking a shot more than 30 yrds. 30 is my comfort zone.

I shot my first buck ever with a bow last year at 21 yards and it seemed like 1,000 yards at the time!

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Dummy that needs help choosing a sight!

I have a 3 pin Archers Choice Grizzly and to be honest I wish I had a couple more pins. Any way it is the horizontal set up like you are looking at and I like it quite well. I guess its all personal prefrence.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:20 PM

The Spot Hogg is rock solid. I would go with the Real Deal. If you only want to shoot 3 pins you can remove pins from the sight. If money is an issue and you decide to go with the Bare Bones you can also remove two pins from that sight. Other than the sight being very durable I like the fact that the pins have the fiber optic strands laying very close to the steel pin. Some other models made by other companies that I have used have the fiber optic material bowed out away from the pin. The problem I have had here is they get snagged on brush, thorns, ect walking in and breaks the fiber optic strand. I have not had this happen with the Spott Hogg sights.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 PM

Thanks for clarifying the pin removal. I wasn't sure if they were removable or not...never payed much attention to them. That helps though...now I don't have to be concerned with number of pins. Probably set it up with only two pins.

I'm thinking spot hogg "right on" or the "real deal."

I need durability since I'm accident prone! [:'(]
Old 06-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bent Barrel! I have a Spott Hogg Real Deal on my Patriot Dually and it's absolutely great ,although I have a Impact Archery Cosmic and it's much brighter than the Real Deal both these sight's are at the top of my list . If I don't pick a light up for my Real Deal I'll be putting the Cosmic on for hunting,the cosmic is only a single pin but the Patriot's love them since they make up for it with the speed.

nubo
Old 06-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting i like the COSMIC because it is a single pin and plenty bright to be visible right up to the end of legal hunting hours--if it's light enough to see a deer you WILL be able to see the pin
Old 06-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Take a look at the Impact Archery line. I have the collector with the clear appeture. It has three horizontal pins and I think they are some of the brightest pins out there. It is a great hunting sight and occasional 3d sight. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Also the Spot Hoggs have a lifetime warranty... so if your kid uses it for a hammer... or you drop it from a tree and it lands on the sight.. they'll send you a new one for free.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

My suggestion would be to also look at the Copper John Dead nuts Hunter and the PSE "F" series. Both offer all metal construction and acceptably bright pins. I utilize the former on my 3D bow and set up quite a few of the latter for customers on their bows.

Great little sights that don't break the bank.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will second the copper john deadnutz sight.