Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper tuning -- how far to go >

Paper tuning -- how far to go

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuning -- how far to go

Old 06-07-2004, 04:32 AM

Default Paper tuning -- how far to go

Took my first stab at paper tuning today. It was interesting but I wanted to double-check myself.

Equipment is a Hoyt Ultra Sport set for about 52 lbs., NAP Quiktune 1000 rest and Gold Tip 5575 arrows. The initial setup for this bow was according to manufacturer's instructions -- rest centered or a little to the left and the nock set where an arrow at 90 deg. to the string would just lie across the rest. I'm right-handed and shooting a Tru-Ball release.

I had noticed quite a bit of wear on the right prong silencer -- NAP says this means the rest needs to move right so I did that. I also hoped proper tuning would reduce the tendency to string arrows horizontally.

The first few shots on paper at 2 yds. showed a 1.5" tear at about 1:00. First I moved the nock set down and rest prongs up. By the time I got rid of the porpoising, I had the nock set 3/8" below the rest according to my bow square -- so we are talking more than 1/2" below 90 degrees.

Then I worked on the side-to-side fishtailing -- by the time I had that mostly under control, I had the rest almost as far to the right as it will go. So I expect to see even more wear on the right prong silencer.

I took the bow outside and tried it at 5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 yds. Arrows were grouping OK when I shot right, and seemed to be hitting the paper a bit straighter than before. (They used to group fine but many arrows were pointing visibly downward into the targets.) Also tried my one broadhead and it seemed to hit about the same as my field points, which was encouraging.

I also noticed that I needed dramatic adjustments to my sights -- as in, I was hitting a foot high at 5 yds. Used to be a couple inches, about the offset between the sights and the arrow rest.

So does anything here sound wrong? I got worried partly because one of the older guys in the club came along to tell me I was wasting my time.

John
Old 06-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper tuning -- how far to go

do a search on paper tuning
this topic has been discussed extensively here.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:50 AM

From the sounds of the way you explained the results you are getting better arrow flight. If the flight is better go with it. How far away are you standing to paper tune? I usually stand around 6 feet from the paper. Sometimes if you adjust spring tension on a TM style hunter rest it will help out a lot also as far as tear high or tear low. May even correct some tear right and lefts. I keep a good bit of tension on my spring.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:21 AM

Thanks, guys.

I went back and searched but didn't find anything that really answered my question. I guess I'm just concerned about the nock set being so low on the string, and the rest being so far out of whack compared to the initial setup.

I only shot at about 6 feet. I'm going to push everything back to slightly more conservative settings and take another whack at it in a week or so, including some shots at longer distances.

I did download the Easton tuning guide and will take a good look at it today or tonight.

John
Old 06-08-2004, 09:05 AM

The easton tuning guide is very good for tuning bows. I use it all the time for reference.