Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

back tension??

Old 04-14-2004, 08:56 AM

Default back tension??

ok. Thanks for your answers concerning my draw length. Obvioulsy, I have some form related probs to work on. I was also reading a post concerning target panic, and one thing jumps out at me concerning both....back tension. I hear about releasing using back tension, now I am confused. Are we still pulling the trigger with our finger, or what.
Can someone please explain. I have been shooting for quite a few years, and am pretty good, but not nearly as good as I want to be, and it seems to be my form. any explanation will help alot.

thank you!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 AM
pup

Default RE: back tension??

they make what you would call a "back tension release" which doesnt have any kind of a triger and it goes of when you squeez your back muscles together but if you are tought the proper way you can you any release with back tension
Old 04-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best explanation of releasing with back tension I've heard is not 'squeezing the back muscles together.' Seems a lot of people have a hard time grasping what that means. I like to say 'use your shoulder to push your elbow straight back.'

You can get the feel for that just using your imaginary bow. Hold your bow arm up like you're shooting and your string hand on your normal anchor, just like you're at full draw. Then, just push that string hand elbow straight back. It'll only move an inch or so, but you'll feel the muscles that are involved. If you can't feel 'em, then push it back and push hard when you get it as far as it will go.

Once you feel those muscles, then you'll know what back tension is.

To release a wrist strap style caliper release with back tension, take up whatever slack is in the trigger by squeezing your finger and stop just before the trigger trips. Then, continuing to aim (very important, you know) turn that finger into a rigid hook and push your elbow back. The movement of the elbow pulls your finger thru the trigger to finish the shot.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 AM

wow. I do have a lot to work on...thank you, I really appreciate it!!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 AM

Athur did a fine job splaining it

The major benifit of a back tension is to cause a complete suprise release. When you have no idea when the bow will go off - lots of good things can happen.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:24 AM

I guess if you don't know when the release will happen, it would be harder to "flinch" and pull the shot, right??
Old 04-14-2004, 12:48 PM

I guess if you don't know when the release will happen, it would be harder to "flinch" and pull the shot, right??
yes it is true.............

But the main benefit is to combat target panic and the odd, terrible things your mind can do when trying to hold on the x and at the same time command a shot. Most of the biggest problems with TP happen well before the trigger is pulled.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Backtension has been explained pretty well but I would like to add something that really isolated the "feel" for me.The muscles that you use to keep a bow from creeping forward are the same muscles used to use backtension.This is what will give you the push,pull that will fire the release.

I actually shoot best with a wrist release called the Short and Sweet and I use backtension with it BUT I have a true backtension release that I will practice with to ensure I don't get lazy on the trigger and cheat with the wrist release.So it basically takes both for me to do my best shooting.