Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

short bows

Old 03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default short bows

How accurate can the average hunter expect to be from shooting a short axel bow like 31 inches?
Old 03-31-2004, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: short bows

That depends on the distance you are shooting.

But if it is in a normal hunting situation out to 20 yds then the short bows are ok.

Just remember that it is easy to cant a short AtA bow.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:11 PM

It also depends on the shooters size.

A 6'3" shooter may have a much harder time with a short A-A bow than a 5'7" 27" draw shooter.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Their is a small framed lady that shoots leages down here with a parker 31 , and shes pretty darn accurte with it .
Old 03-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the design of the bow also. With the Bowtech's, you have a longer riser which in turn negates some of the inherent balance issues of other brand's short bows. The Liberty for example feels and balances more like a bow 3" longer than it is. The Hoyt Xtec, though not to the extreme of the Bowtech's is the same way.

But in general, a shorter bow is a good choice for normal hunting situations out to 40 yards. I'm not saying you don't want pin point accuracy, but c'mon, your trying to hit an area about the size of a soccer ball. Spots and 3D are different, you need to have pinpoint accuracy and every little bit counts IMO.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

What can I say that has not already been said? I agree with everything mentioned above but will also add that it can also come down to the skill and diligence of the individual shooter.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:14 AM

I have to agree with PA ! For me .....it hasn't been a hard transition .....going to a 31.5 " bow (and I'm 6'03" ) !! My accuracy is very good (even out at longer distances = 65-70 yrds) ! But I will agree that they are easier to torque and my Outback weighs a fair amount ! I can't imagine what one of the real light ones would be like ........but I doubt I'd like them ! Good luck !!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:23 AM

One nice thing about the short bows, is that most have longer brace heights, which helps some with the forgiveness factor. For me, the biggest determining factor that determines when a bow is too short, is the string angle. If the angle gets too steep, the string will contact your face in a different area. Also, if it's real steep, string loops become almost a necessity, or you risk an arrow becoming un-nocked if you let down.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something else that just came to mind as I revisited this post....many times folks walk into a situation with a specific mindset. More often than not that mindset then leads the situation to result in the preconceived notion. This is commonly referred to as a "self-fulfilling prophecy". In this specific instance folks may believe that a short bow is totally incapable of delivering acceptable accuracy levels even before they shoot it. Then when they actually do shoot it they may introduce something into the situation (like torquing the grip, punching the release), etc.. which can lead to poor accuracy problems and thus a negative experience with the short bow.

I am by no means saying that short bows are "easy" to shoot but rather that they can be made more than adequately shootable if a person makes some equipment modifications and keeps an open mind.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:17 AM

I just recently bought a PSE Firestorm Lite (30" ata). This is probably the best thing I have done for my shooting. My old bow was a lot more forgiving and the shorter ata has forced me to work on my form. It's taking time but my groups are coming together and when I shoot my old bow I shoot it better than ever. Besides, I've got plenty of time till the season opened to polish my shooting.

Quick Reply: short bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.