Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

short bows

Old 04-01-2004, 08:20 AM

Default RE: short bows

As long as we're adding things.... I've noticed good shooters aren't affected much by short bows, and poor shooters are greatly affected. Great form equals great results. And why shouldn't it? All bows are inherently accurate. It's the shooter that messes up the shot. Because of this, I definitely don't recommend them to beginners.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 AM

I am shooting a Martin short bow 31.5 ata. I would say for "hunting accuracy" it is fine. I have not heard a single complaint from a deer I have killed with this bow that it wasn't accurate enough. The decision for me had several points.....

1) I hunt almost exclusively out of tree stands..Short bows are great because they are manueverable in tight spaces.
2) They are light to carry and haul up and down trees
3) I have never taken a shot of more than 30 yards out of a tree stand....one half of an inch won't matter much

Take the words from the boys...with practice it will probably be good enough to hunt with and probably good enough to be respectful at any competitions you might enter.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 PM

am I correct in saying that the shorter bows aren't as forgiving? Each little fault in form is amplified?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:18 PM

38 inches is about the perect length. THe longer the bow the more forgiving it is, however the heavier it is. Brace height is very important also the longer the better (For accuracy) Nuge bow 9 inches WOW
Old 04-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

am I correct in saying that the shorter bows aren't as forgiving? Each little fault in form is amplified?
No, I would not say that is a true statement. A short axle to axle length does not produce the same effects that a short brace height or an overdraw would when it comes to shooting form unless that specific shooting form error has something to do with canting the bow.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 AM

I will also throw in the string angle problem that can occur with a short bow and a tall archer.

I find it very hard to keep my head in a good position, shooting my normal draw length ,and touchng my nose to the string.

It seems the real short bows want to be more than one inch longer in draw to keep my same anchor. Thats "my" big problem with them.

They can still shoot very well.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:15 AM

"Don't want no short bow man... Don't want no short bow man.....Don't want no short bow man..." Kind of catchy huh? Lets all sing it together.........."Don't want no short bow man... Don't want no short bow man.....Don't want no short bow man..."
Old 04-02-2004, 04:29 PM

Do those toy bows come with a shoulder stock, or do you have to buy your own? Also, do you carry them in a holster or just stick them in your pocket?
Old 04-03-2004, 03:44 PM

short bows are ok as long as you have a decent brace height, when you have a brace height of at least 7" or more, that helps greatly
Old 04-03-2004, 03:47 PM

great point, def not for beginners
ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

As long as we're adding things.... I've noticed good shooters aren't affected much by short bows, and poor shooters are greatly affected. Great form equals great results. And why shouldn't it? All bows are inherently accurate. It's the shooter that messes up the shot. Because of this, I definitely don't recommend them to beginners.

Quick Reply: short bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.