Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead disaster!!! >

Broadhead disaster!!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead disaster!!!

Old 03-31-2004, 06:29 AM

Default Broadhead disaster!!!

Hey guys I need some advice!!! I am going to Africa in May and all advice says I need to use fixed BH's. I have used 80 gr mechanicals for 3 years and had great success with them on deer. I just switched to Wasp 125 gr 3 blades fixed BH's. The problem is that I can't get the BH's to group at all. I re-sighted my bow with 125 gr field points and had no issues at all....very nice tight groups. When I switched over to the BH's I was lucky to get 18 inch groups from 20 yds!!! I had arrows flying all over the place.

This is my first experience with fixed BH's and I'm absolutely at a loss....Any advice??
Old 03-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead disaster!!!

What's the size of your fletching?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:41 AM

Everyone is going to want to know a lot about your equipment !

List everything you can think of about your equipment ! Bow , release, poundage,arrows, arrow length, fletchings, rest , etc. !

How much do you know about bow tuning ? Do you paper tune, group tune, etc. ? Have you spun any of your arrows with your braodheads attatched to see if they spin true ?

List as much as you can and someone on here will tell you exactly what you need to do ! I just got 130 grain Muzzy's to hit with my fieldpoints at 282 fps with help from these guys ........so I know it can be done !!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

The reason everyone is going to want to know about your full setup is so that they can make further recommendations as to how to adjust it so that you can get better accuracy from your fixed blade heads. A helical fletching, proper FOC balance, etc.. are all very critical when addressing this type of issue.

My bet without further info is that it is either an insert/broadhead/shaft alignment issue or a tuning problem.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes your fletching length could be an issue but make sure your broadhead's also line up with your fletching's so that your not getting a counter reaction in the air like "plaining".

nubo
Old 03-31-2004, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to go back to step A. Your setup is way off somewhere if you are getting those types of groups. The mech heads were a bandaid for an improperly tuned setup.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nubo

Yes your fletching length could be an issue but make sure your broadhead's also line up with your fletching's so that your not getting a counter reaction in the air like "plaining".

nubo
What would he or one do if shooting 4 blade heads with 3 fletch?

As long as the shaft quality is exceptable, spine is good, broadheads spin true and adequate fletch is used, doing the above is more for aesthetics than function, in my opinion...

Kman, what kind of game do you plan to hunt? Depending on this and your set up and arrow weight, you may be better served going with a 2 blade cut on contact like the Magnum Stinger...
Old 03-31-2004, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd suspect arrow spine deficiency, but without knowing the details on your setup, there's no way to say for sure.

Have you contacted the outfitter to get the regs? You need to make sure the setup you wind up with is going to be legal to hunt with. It'd be the pits to get over there with 400 gn arrows and find out they've got a 500 gn minimum arrow weight.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:47 AM

In my opinion, WV Hunter and Arthur P have possibly identified the problem.

The spine of your shafts may be incorrect or too near the "redline" and the mech heads allowed you to get by.

If you are shooting carbons; regardless of the range of spine carbons allow …which I personally do not agree with…. and believe the manufacturer's hype has sold the goods, you may have been too close to need in more or less spine. If you are shooting aluminum shafts, a jump to 125 from 80 is too much unless you drop your draw-weight…a lot.

A misconception by many shooters is that if the spine of a shaft is correct for field tips so will it be for broadheads. In some cases it (spine) will be ok, in a lot of cases it won't be. Not only can the flight of a broadhead mounted shaft be affected by wind planing, the forces that are being put upon the "winged" broadhead can cause a spine issue.

Arthur P is also correct about checking with the outfitter. Many have strict rules about what equipment and setup is allowed/required. One well-known outfitter for Africa hunts not only does not allow mechs, he also does not allow Muzzy's.

PS: Alignment of fletch with blades does nothing but make the shooter feel better about his/her setup.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does NOT allow MUZZY'SI'd type more if i could stop laughing so hard!

Quick Reply: Broadhead disaster!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.