Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Easton Axis 400's >

Easton Axis 400's

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton Axis 400's

Old 03-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Easton Axis 400's

A little while back I asked you guys to decide what arrow to shoot out of my 04 Black Knight.

The majority came back and said the Axis

Well I got some 400's and boy am I impressed

First off I spun tested a dozen shafts found 3 that had a slight wobble in one end so Jason at the shop let me spin some others to find 3 that spun true

After I selected my dozen I had him cut 1" off the nock end then cut them to lenght 27.5" install the insert and fletch them for me as they are too skinny for my Arizona[:-].
I supplied the 4" Dura vanes.

After he was done cutting and fletching I weighted them and was surprised at the result.
I had 1 arrow that weighed 299.5 gr's one arrow that came in at 301.6 grs all the rest where 300 grs (minus field tips).

Now this is the firs time I have got a dozen arrows that came within 2 gr's throughout the dozen altho easton give a +/- 2grs which means a 4 gr spread.

After letting the glue for the inserts dry for 24 hours I decided to get the broad heads out and spin them, well all but 2 spun true but Easton also supply a little grinding block a couple of spins on the block I spun the B/H's again WOW they spun true now this is really is a FIRST a dozen arrows that not only weigh withing 2gr's but also spin true with broad heads.

I went out and shot them this afternoon total arrow weight of 399.5 to 401.6.

Upon shooting them I noticed that I did not have to move my 20yd pin from where I it was set for the Gold Tip 5575 xt's (374gr's).
Baked out to 30yds same thing did not have to move the pin now to 35 yds utho I have to move this one then onto 40 yds again I had to move the pin but not in the direction you are probably thinking.

I had to close the pin gap thats right close it these arrows are holding more down range speed that the GT's.

Then I went back to 20 shot an Axis then a GT done the same for 30,35 and 40.
The Axis are out penetrating the GT's by a 1/3 at all ranges and boy are they THUMPING into the Morrell bag

I honestly cant find a fault in these arra's and it is going to take an exceptional arrow to get me to change.

All in all I will give the Axis 400's 10 out of 10.

Now role on Sunday night I am heading to the lease to put them to the final test.

HOGS
Old 03-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Easton Axis 400's

Great to hear Ausie. I am finding the same thing. Tolerances seem excellent with them. Also, one thing I'm beginning to notice is that they are penetrating much further into 3D targets then my Bemans or GoldTips of roughly the same weight. They hit hard!!!

Isn't it nice actually getting a dozen shafts that you can actually use????!!!

Plus, they are tough as hell I'm finding. I have broke a lot of nocks on em so far, but all came out unscathed other than that.

Hats off to Easton, great shaft!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

MM88.

I am a little scared to shoot them at my 3d target as it has a bit of wear I dont want these to blast right through and ruin the fletchings
Old 03-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie! I'm glad to hear this about the Axis's I would like to get some in the very near future ,but they haven't arrived here in Ontario yet . My new Spott Hogg and my new Muzzy Zero Effect will be here near the end of the week ,once I get my bow all set-up I'll let you know my finding's hopefully i don't have to order a new turn buckle for it .{Keeping my fingers crossed} But Axis's are in the work's

nubo
Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

John.

I dont think you will be dissapointed in the Axis I know I am not

The MZE you might have to leave the overdraw plate off I dont have it on my BK2 for the simple reason I was too lazy yo put it back on before I put the rest on
Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious , what type of rests are you guys using?

I remember what a pain in the arse it was with fletching clearance on the old skinny Bemans and the shoot thru rests. I'm assuming these Axis arrows are skinny enough to create the same problem with anyone not shooting a drop away.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doug.

I am using the MZE on my Pat Dually and Black Knight

IMO with a shoot thru prong rest these arrows wont have enough clearance specially if you put a hard helical on them.
But if you use a straight or slight off set they should be ok.

Or wait for the Nap Spin Wings
Old 03-17-2004, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear your happy with them. I'm wanting some 400's also.

Which Arizona e-z fletch wouldn't work?
Was it the regular or carbon version?

If both, that may be a deal breaker right there.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am finding pretty much the same thing. In fact, I will probably use these over my ACCs, 1/2 dozen of which have not been shot yet. Mine were fletched left offset, and seem to shoot well in the limited broadhead shooting I have done with them. The offset has given me no problems with clearance on the two shoot-through rests I have been trying, one of which is a GKF 3D Royal with the horseshoe launcher. I would agree that a hard helical on these arrows with a shoot-through would cause problems. I have also shot the arrows through a new brown Whisker Biscuit. The accuracy is quite good, although I would have to say that, even the new brown biscuits are going to wrinkle Duravanes. If I continue with this rest, I will refletch with Speedflytes. The Axis arrows are absolutely silent when drawn through the biscuit.

Another thing to like about them is the ease of pulling them from foam. I have been shooting into an Aim Rite core, and not only did these arrows fully penetrate the core (arrow tips sticking out the far side) almost from the beginning, but they also pull with at least 1/3 less effort than the ACCs. After a while, I stopped putting any soap on the front, since it was not needed.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

How much more weight is an Axis shaft over a comparitive spined Easton or Beman ICS shaft?

Where are you guys buying yours from?

JoePA...any place close to us have them in?

Quick Reply: Easton Axis 400's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.