Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 PLEASE HELP- New Lab Pup,Understanding Bloodlines, etc. >

PLEASE HELP- New Lab Pup,Understanding Bloodlines, etc.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

PLEASE HELP- New Lab Pup,Understanding Bloodlines, etc.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Default PLEASE HELP- New Lab Pup,Understanding Bloodlines, etc.

Hello!
I am a new member to this forum but thought that it looked like a terrific place to find answers to my questions.

I recently purchased a male black English labrador (now 8 weeks old) out of the Lexington, SC area.I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about his bloodlines and pedigree...I've dealt in horses my entire life but am just now entering the dog world and have no idea how to correctly interpret the information I recieved from the AKC papers.

His father's name is "Winston-Antony Surprise" from the Breeders Robert and Laura Hall. He weighs about 125+ lbs and his mother is "Sandylands Star Trend" weighing about 110+ lbs.

Attached is a link to pictures and a copy of his AKC papers for 4 generations on the Fathers side and a Copy of his mother's Pedigree.
http://community.webshots.com/album/560708815QBnJdL

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you,
KMcCutcheon
Old 09-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PLEASE HELP- New Lab Pup,Understanding Bloodlines, etc.

There are no Retriever titles in either pedigree. There are a few Bench Titles (Show Dog).
As it looks in the picture, the only reason they weigh so much is that they are grossly obese.
Exacly what questions do you have?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh my god.. Those are the fattest dogs I have ever seen! Please do not let your dog get that fat.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:22 PM

Well, I am always one to be open to constructive criticism but apparently there isn't any positive criticism that you have provided. I have no intentions of making my dog 'fat'. I was hoping that with the help of the members of this forum that I would be able to better understand the pedigree of my lab, not his potential weight problems.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doc E

There are no Retriever titles in either pedigree. There are a few Bench Titles (Show Dog).

Exacly what questions do you have?
Specific questions?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this lineage or perhaps knew of any of the dogs that are listed in either pedigree. We have a hunting plantation and would like to use to the dog there for retrieving birds. His parents are heavy in weight but when you see them in person they don't appear to be over weight by any means.

If he does get to reach that size should we try to thin him down? (would this help him be faster?)

When is a good age to send the pup to Training and what is a good estimate of the amount of time they need to stay in training?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not aquainted with any of the dogs in either pedigree. There are only a couple titles in the pedigrees and they are for Show Dogs (Bench Dogs).
Sorry to be blunt here, but those of us who are interested in HUNTING dogs don't look at Show pedigrees very much at all.
The parents are each some 40+ lbs over the Breed Standard.
The sire is listed by OFA as being Good for hips and Normal for elbows -- but the dam has no OFA certifications listed at all.

I guess all I can say here is Good Luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with Doc on this one. Show Dogs I would shy away from as I like to hunt with the Irish Setters and the show people have all but distroyed the breed. Field Lines ( hunting lines ) is all that myself would ever be interested in. All you have to do is ask around and talk to folks you know and they will say that the irish setter is a stupid breed of dog. That is what the show people made a lot of them out to be. But, when dealing with the field lines you would be hard pressed to find a stupid one... Good Luck to you..