Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech Birth Certificates >

Bowtech Birth Certificates

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Birth Certificates

Old 02-29-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Bowtech Birth Certificates

Why the differences in the speed? My MM VFT BC says 287 fps @ 71.2#, 27" draw length with a 350 gr. arrow. While I was at the pro shop yesterday I was looking at his MM VFT's. They were 288 fps @ 71.2# and 29" dl, and the other was 285 fps @ 71.2# at 28" draw length. I thought for every inch under 30" you would loose about 10 fps yet mine at 27" and the one at 29" were withing 1 fps of each other. Does this make sense. Bear with me guys I'm still learning here and I want one of the faster Mighty Mite's
Greg.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech Birth Certificates

Greg,
?

That doesn't sound correct to me at all.......I've looked at dozens of BowTech BC's and what you are saying just doesn't make any sense.

First off........I find it odd that all 3 shipped at 71.2#'s? I have 3 different BC's at home right now, and they read, 71#, 70.8#, and 71.1#.
I guess it's POSSIBLE, but the speeds you are stating for those draw lengths wouldn't be on those certificates.

The range for the MM at various draw lengths should read pretty similar to this:
30"= 314-322
29"= 304-312
28"= 294-302
27"= 284-292
**These are just approximates**.

You will probably see a little bit of a change in ratio as you increase draw length but these should be ballpark.
What I mean is that you might have only an 8fps jump from 27" to 28", but you might see 10fps from 29" to 30". It's close, but I have seen the greatest speed jumps when you hit the highest module for any given model.

Anyway, your bow at 27" and 287fps falls right in the speed range I listed.

The others you mentioned would not make the speeds listed and would not ship.
I could possibly see if you had a speed rating where 2 different draw lengths are close to overlapping.......say like a 28" at 292fps (Low end)and maybe a 27" @ 292 (extreme high end)
But what you are saying doesn't jive.

One thing I HAVE seen on these BC's is poor handwriting. Are you sure that you saw what you saw? IS it possible that you just read them quickly?
I'm curious as to this because it basically makes no sense at all, and I'm a BowTech guy.
Can you get your hands on these again and write down the exact numbers again for curiosity's sake?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

(unless something has changed since 2002)

Although I love the Birth cirtificate idea, I find the bowtech's piece of paper easily duplicated and just plain cheap.
Without some bowtech "seal" it would be far too easy to spice up the speed for a better sale.

I would bet money that a hopped up BC has occured before.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

When i read those number it seems that they are all very close to eachother.
Little differents in setups makes little changes in speeds to.
I found out diffence in braceheights to be the diffence in speed calculations as well.
Therefor its handy to know what your bow delivers exactly so you can calculate exactly what arrow you should use and what the amount on kinetic energy will be.
At least, I allways like to know that.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave,
Those BC's aren't "Spiced" up I can guarantee you that.
My Liberty's BC that I bought a while back states 300fps for my Liberty at 30"/71#.
That is bottom of the speed barrel for a 300-308 range. I saw one Liberty BC at 307fps.......But that's fine I love the bow and it shoots great.

These things are weighed on digital scales, measured, and shot.......it's tedious stuff but it's done for every bow.
If it falls within that range, it's good to go. If not, strip it down and find out why.
You could get a "Fast" one, but I think they strive to get all of them at least into the fat part of that speed range.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:25 AM

but I have seen the greatest speed jumps when you hit the highest module for any given model.
Matt,
With that in mind what would you guess the speed range to be at 32" draw at 70lbs? I'm talking about the Pro40 freedom.
Thanks,
bmott
Old 02-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ooops, I wasn't meaning to implying that the speeds in question were spiced. More that it would be very easy to do so. The fact that all 3 were exactly the same draw weight had already raised an eyebrow.

I was just thinking it would be very easy for a shop owner to increase each BC in his shop to the top of the "range". I know that would take alot of time and such, but how about e-bayers? I've seen some shady deals on there and wouldn't put it above a shady character to do so.

I've noticed the speeds of the new single patriot and extreme VFT over lap, who would buy a Slower vft if a faster patriot was sitting next to it? Seams like a slower VFT would be a hard sale. (this is where the spicing could come into play)
Old 02-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

extremejt, the other two bows you mention may be 60#ers. My 03 pat Dually came with a BC stating 70.8#. I know it bottoms at 61 (I don't have a digital scale, it may weel be 60.8). I imagine the testers could occasionally write the weight down wrong.
DaveC, if a shop owner would do this on a BC, what would he do to sell another brand? Besides, the VFT is less money than a Patriot. That alone would help some people's decision.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

pdq, that's easy- rig or find a chrony that reads high

I wasn't aware of the price difference, good to know.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:25 PM

Matt / PA,
My bad, I did put them all at 71.2#. They were different, I just typed them out wrong. I don't remember which one was which now, but one was at 71.3# and the other if I remember correctly was 71.1#. They were slightly above and below mine. I will try to get down there this weekend to verify. But I distincly remember one was 28" the other 29" draw length and I was surprised to see those fps numbers after seeing mine. Maybe they were 60# and I didn't catch that. I'll let you know when I get down there.
Greg.

Quick Reply: Bowtech Birth Certificates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.