Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 targets?which kind do you use? >

targets?which kind do you use?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

targets?which kind do you use?

Old 02-25-2004, 05:15 PM

Default targets?which kind do you use?

What would you recommend for a new archer for a target? My wife had bought me the hole, which I like but... I guess I should tell you my problem, as you know I am very new to archery and had just pick'd up my first bow, well I am starting to group pretty well at least well enogh to start ripping fletching on my arrows (man are those things expensive) anyway what do you guys do when shooting at a target shoot one at a time, then go pluck your arrow? Or do you have different targets set up! I only have room in my barn for a 20yd range, so lengthing is a no no, and outside is dark by the time I get enough time to shoot or should I start messing with my sight know that I am grouping have way decent. what do you guys do to get prctice in? thanks for any help!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:57 PM

Default RE: targets?which kind do you use?

I use the block. It is very durable. Also, you can put paper targets over your hole target, use golf tees or something to secure the ends. Use a 5 spot paper target and you should be able to shoot several before having to retrieve.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:59 PM

shoot different spots on the same target. Use a black marker on your bloc and draw more dots. I had a bag target that I put golf tees all over. You hit those at 20 yards and you are doing some dang good shooting. Was fun to explode the tees. also, to cut down on fletching cost, buy a jig and do your own. It is really easy and kind of fun.

JMAC
Old 02-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use hay bales we have left over in the barn for sighting in the broadheads. And I use the Block for field points.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:42 AM

I had the black hole as a target. I used white spray paint to make more circles to shoot at. As I practiced more and got better I used smaller objects to stick in the target to shoot at. It gets very expensive and frustrating shooting at the same target every shot.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the black hole,block and Morells large range bag.

For field tips you cant beat the Morell.

The black hole and block are strictly broad head targets and are taking a beating but they still stop the arrows.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:10 AM

Ausie-guy, why do you say they are strictly broadhead targets? I'm curious beecause I have the hole, and shot the middle out to the point where some arrows pass through. I was thinking of the block, hoping it was a little more durable. Would you recommend one over the other?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not sure what you call it but I use the cheap square target you get at walmart. I had a 3d deer but house fire took care of that one.

Just shoot different spots on the target. Only you know truely where you aim and you know if you hit where you aim. The bullseye is for everyone else watching. I too went thru quite a few arrows before I learned this.