Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Pro Chrono or Radarchron??? >

Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

Old 02-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

Now I am really torn. Positive testimonials on both sides. Would it not be nice if I could shoot both side by side to see how they compared in readings to one another?

Argghhh[:@]...decisions...decisions.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have a pro chrony and compared my results to other chronies around the area and they were within 3-4 fps of each other. When I tried the Radarchron with the same set up it was about 15 fps slower than any of the other 4 chronies. I doozn't likes it.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

That's what I've heard about the Radarchron- not to bash the product, but all complaints I've heard are about innaccurate readings and not very good consistency from shot to shot.

You can get a Chroney Archery Chronograph w/ light kit for $105 on the interent. Ok, so it's not an Oehler, but it is very reasonable in price, comes with the lighting kit so you can use it indoors or outdoors. I have this unit and it does give decent readings and consistency. One thing I have noticed is that you need to be careful on very bright, sunny days that the sun doesn't go directly into either gate sensor area. Other than that, it has been a great tool for the money.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Now I am really torn. Positive testimonials on both sides. Would it not be nice if I could shoot both side by side to see how they compared in readings to one another?

Argghhh[:@]...decisions...decisions.
Cabelas takes returns...

I've got the Chrony Alpha with remote read out. Instead of springing for the light kit, I called Chrony and asked them what to use. They said as long as one hung a 40 watt frosted bulb around 6" above each diffuser, it works perfectly. I did, it does

Radarchron has limited applications for the same jack. I love multi-tasking
Old 02-10-2004, 07:21 AM

I have the radarchron and it gives me consistant (1 -3 fps) readings.

it is very handy as you can bring it anywhere.

I have not shot it side by side with other units so I cannot say if it is accurate.

But from all the speeds I read here I would guess it is either on the low side or others are jacking numbers
Old 02-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

As far as the light kit.... I went to the hardware store and bought 2 light sockets (about $1.00 each), wired them to an extension cord ($3.00) and used electrical tape to tape them to the two diffusers. Works perfect.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just as an update....

..as per some advice above I went to the local Cabelas. They did not have the Pro Chrono in stock but did have the Radarchron. So, to sort of split the difference I bought the Radarchron and also bought the light kit for the Pro Chrono.(which they did have in stock...go figure). I planned on using the light kit with my current chrono...chrono tech model....to see if it would work indoors thus possibly eliminating temperature as a variable in my previous readings.

Well, to make a long story short the light kit did not work with my chrono. It fit nicely but the chrono would not work indoors. I just get a constant reading of 122 regardless of whether I am shooting through it or not.

The Radarchron, on the other hand, seems to work fine....though it seems to be on the slow side based on my estimations. Very consistant from shot to shot but not very accurate unless my estimates are way off. It would appear to be about 10 fps slower than what I would guess for any of the bows I shot through it (3...two bowtechs and a hoyt).

So, now I am left with a dilemna. Do I shoot some more through my normal chrono tomorrow to see how far its readings are off of the Radarchron and then decide to either keep or return the Radarchron? Or, do I just order the pro chrono now and use it to compare against both my old chrono and the Radarchron?

If the Pro Chrono gives me the same speed as the Radarchron then I may be tempted to keep the Radarchron considering its size and portability.

Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Thoughts?
Buy the best/most accurate chrono you can afford. Sounds like the RadarChron is not too accurate (as we discussed in our email).
Old 02-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frank.

I have played around with the radarcon and was not happy with the results.

Get the Pro crono and dont look back.
You can do so much more with the Pro crono ie get arrow speeds at different yardages.

Just dont do what I done to mine
Perfect double lung heart shot
Old 02-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank,
The results you got are pretty much in line with what I've heard on other forums.. Seems the Radarchron is pretty consistent--consistently slow by about 10fps. Now, is that 10fps going to be consistent or is it going to be a percentage of error?
Hey Frank, you only got readings of 122 ???? Typical Bowtech. Get a faster bow.

Barry

Quick Reply: Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.