Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thumbs up on the New Easton Axis! >

Thumbs up on the New Easton Axis!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thumbs up on the New Easton Axis!

Old 01-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thumbs up on the New Easton Axis!

JEFFB, not trying to ride your coat tails on this one. Did not see your post on this..... Just adding my 2 cents.

I had the chance to shoot the new easton axis arrows for the first time on sunday and WOW are they nice. The thinner diameter in MHO, makes them a great hunting shaft. I shot the 400's out to 30 and 35 yards out of my new BT Liberty (at 72lbs) and I was touching arrows. These babies flew like darts. They had 3, 4in feathers with a 2 degree offset. They were 29in long. Two of the tips were 90gr and the other was 100gr. I think the shaft said the wght was 9.3gr per in. Anyway they look nice and are VERY durable. after I shot hem into a regular target the guy who owned them told me to shoot through 1/2 plywood...............SWEET.........So I did.............They blew right through w/out even messing up the outside of the arrow. And they hit HARD!. A great characteristic when looking for a true Hunting shaft. For those of you looking for a line cutter shaft you are SOL. these babies are small.

One of the only concerns I have is the way you have to install the insert. It seems pretty critical, and how durable they will be over the long haul. They come with there own glue and insert tool. I ask the guy who owned them if you could use any type of glue and he was not real sure. If anyone knows the answer to this question please let me know. Other than that, My first impression and shooting experience with these arrows was a Positive one. JMHO.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thumbs up on the New Easton Axis!

I ask the guy who owned them if you could use any type of glue and he was not real sure.
Curious why you would want to use another glue since Easton supplies the glue they feel does the job best?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's the grain tolerance on these?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frank.

Between you and Jeff ya making it hard for me to keep my money in my pocket

I can see I am just gonna have to go out and get me a dozen of these things.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am very curious to learn how the front of the Axis shaft will stand up to the expandable broadheads.
This was mentioned in a previous post, but I can't remember seeing someone giving the results of testing.
If I'm not mistaken someone did mention that after using an arrow on a kill the arrow is retired--so it matters not if the expandable ruins the front of the shaft.
But my concern is while sighting in, I wouldn't want to sacrifice an arrow after every shot.
Has anyone done any testing using the mechanicals?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ampahunter,my understanding is that if you want to use an expandable, you have to place a small washer behind them. Otherwise, I would think you would definitely mess up the end of the shaft with them.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Frank.

Between you and Jeff ya making it hard for me to keep my money in my pocket

I can see I am just gonna have to go out and get me a dozen of these things.
My thoughts exactly. I wonder if anyone has them in locally yet. If not then I am going to have to order a dozen.

As for expandables.....don't most expandables come with their own "washer" to help protect the insert on a "normal arrow". Why would that change with the Axis even though there is not an insert on the outside of the shaft?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt 'one washer' will compensate or prevent the blades from striking to the front of the shaft. JMO.
Also most times, I use the Rocket Steelhead expandables (a.k.a. Champion Big Game)--as it is, it takes only 2 ~ 3 rotations (without using the washer) to tighten the broadhead into the insert, adding a washer or two will certainly decrease the amount of thread lock and could possibly cause some problems.
Like I'd said earlier, this is just a concern.
I was hoping that the folks at Easton would have done the necessary testing and probably shared the result with us.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

ampahunter,

Good point about the Steelheads. I had not thought of that. If I do go with the Axis then it looks like I will have to stick with the Hammerheads.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just chose an expanable that uses the feral to stop the blades instead of that washer . I know that the pro seires of votex is designed this way while the minimax uses the washer . On a hard hit I can definatly see where a blade might cut thru that washer and into the shaft .

Quick Reply: Thumbs up on the New Easton Axis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.