Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Will this effect my arrow flight? >

Will this effect my arrow flight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Will this effect my arrow flight?

Old 12-27-2003, 11:48 PM

Default Will this effect my arrow flight?

I just bought some Carbon Express CX300 arrows and was wondering if this will work for my set up. I am shooting a PSE Nova at 55 #'s with a 27 inch draw and a 28 inch arrow length. When I went to the Carbon Express website and looked up what arrow to get on the arrow chart, it said I should be shooting a CX200. What effect will this have on my shooting by using the CX300 instead of the CX200. I went to a pro shop and this was what the guy recommended. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:58 AM

Default RE: Will this effect my arrow flight?

There are usually some minor overlapping areas concerning arrow spine. Alot depends on type of cam you're using, and release method (fingers or release).

Try them. See if you can get them tuned and grouping. If you can't, they may be overspined, which is what I suspect. If that's the case, and you still want to use them, you can do things to weaking the spine without having to increase poundage. Go up in point weight is the easiest. If you're 85 grain points, try 100 or 125 grains and see if they don't settle down for you.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:26 PM

The lighter spine would have been more accurate, next time use the charts on their site instead of listening to a pro shop guy!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Overspine arrows will shoot fine. Not perfect, but plenty good enough.

There are several perfectly appropriate reasons why the dealer set you up with arrows that are overspine for your current needs. He's the only one who knows for sure. Maybe he figures you will increase your draw weight soon and planned ahead to help you save money. Maybe he's one that believes in shooting overspined arrows to minimize arrow paradox coming off the bow. Maybe he's got another reason that I won't mention. (I don't feel like doing battle with the Carbon Arrow True Believers Society today. )

I suggest going back to the dealer and asking him why he set you up that way. You might learn something to your benefit.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:22 PM

Something like, "The spine is so inconsistent that if you use one that is way too stiff the effects of the spine differences in the dozen arrows I just sold you will show up less" [] Did I just say that?

LOL...I finally squeeked this info out of a shop as to why they always recommend the stiffer GoldTips than needed. Makes sense to me. Also makes sense why I needed the 7595 GT's when 5575's should have worked. HOWEVER, even with the shortfalls I get GREAT service and longevity out of these arrows.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doug, I still ain't saying another word...Nope.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:55 AM

Mr. P, we knock heads every once in a while, but even I see the light every once in a while.

I love the toughness of my carbons. However, I have finally "shot out" a dozen. They are not grouping as well as they used to. I pulled out a fresh dozen and they grouped WAY better, ruling out my bow as the culprit. According to my log book these arrows should each average 500 shots a piece. I'm sure some have more, some less. However, the jury is in IMHO. They do suffer spine degredation over time.

I have a set of aluminum 2219's that I have had for 12 years. The camo is nearly worn off. 10 of 12 still measured within .003 and they have twice the shots on them as the last group of carbons had. They group better too. Frankly I'm starting to think that the thick wall aluminums may very well last longer in the big picture.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:56 AM

I always go with overspined arrows and then tweak draw weight and tip weight to get the spine right where I want it. This tends to give me a higher F.O.C. which is what I want when shooting my fixed blade broadheads. I also find that some carbons spine lighter then what the charts say.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:39 AM

im also shooting a nova, with an arson cam, but mine is at 64 lbs. my dads friend who set me up with this bow works for PSE and travels around to proshops teaching people how to better tweak PSE bows for the best performance. I trust his advice and he has me shooting cx 200's. so far they have shot very nicely. i dont know a lot about overspining, but i have close to the same setup and my cx 200's are working great. this reminds me, should these arrows work for a AR34 at the same draw weight? cuz i was thinking about buying one soon and i was wondering if i would need new arrows. thanks
Old 01-04-2004, 09:52 PM

go with the acc i havent had ANY problems