Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 2004 BowTech Patriot VFT >

2004 BowTech Patriot VFT

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2004 BowTech Patriot VFT

Old 12-24-2003, 01:57 PM

Default 2004 BowTech Patriot VFT

I went in to pick up the wife's new '04 Patriot VFT today while she is at work She's goina' be tickled pink!!!! I've had about 2 hours now to go over the bow and do some initial set up, inspections and test shooting through the chrono!!!!
The bow is a 60 pounder and came in as ordered at 26 inches draw length. After some inital set up with an arrow rest and tied-in nock set, I measured the actual AMO draw and the length is 26 1/16 inches. Should be juuusssst right for her hunting clothes If need be, we can order the next 1/2 inch mod and make changes from there. This is one thing I really like with the '03 and '04 Bowtech modules in that you have a very high degree of adjustability that is crutial for your best accuracy.
Inital impressions when first handling the Patriot is this bow looks heavier than it looks, a beefy design that has been lightened through much apparent computer technology. The riser looks very "space age" to me[]. Lots of detailed machine work in this riser that is pleasing to this old hobby machinest, I certainly couldn't do this at home!!!!!
The grip on the '04Patriot VFT is much like last years grip IMO with the exception of the throat seems to be higher in relation to the sight window/shelf/rest mounting hole. I might add also that the grip seems more "rounded" than last year, a very nice grip that I wouldn't change a thing on
The shelf extension on the '04 risers is a very welcome addition to those like myself that shoot with a drop away style arrow rest. In setting this bow's center shot with my own make of drop away rest, I aligned the left side of the string with the left side of the hole in the back stabilizer bushing and the point of the arrow. There is ample room on the shelf now to allow your arrow to rest within the confines of the "hook" on the outside that is machined into the riser. I've only shot this bow through the chrono, but each shot produced an arrow in the target at 8 feet that was pointing directly back at my point of aim. Being set up with only a 26 inch draw I didn't shoot for accuracy, I need another 3 1/2 inches to hit my anchor[].
The limb pockets look to be well designed to provide a solid platform for consistent accuracy and quiet shooting. Only one locking screw on each pocket is located on the sight mounting side of the bow. This screw is beefy at 1/4X20 thread and should be nearly "strip proof" for those of us that like to use a little too much torque without thinking about it. If you hunt with a 2 piece quiver, you will probably have to remove the quiver if you want to change the draw weight on your bow unless you have "conventional" allen wrenches and then you will be OK
Camo!!! This years camo to me seems a bit darker to me but you need to know that I'm color blind and the actual colors will have to be determined by my wife, who by the way is one heck of a blood trailer[8D] Finish seems to be well applied but there is a few spots on sharp edges that seems to be lighter.

Measurements on the '04 Patriot VFT are as advertized!!!! Brace height is exactly 7 inches and axle to axle length is 33 1/16 inches. In my measurements, I'm getting 3 inches of reflex in the riser. I also noted while measuring the brace and distance from the limb/riser junction, is the top and bottom limb/riser junction to the string measurements were the same at 10 inches which yelds the 3 inches of reflex. Limb length on this '04 Patriot is about 1/2 inch shorter that my '02 Patriot, which is still doing great[8D]

The birth certificate has been replaced this year with a small tag that is affixed to the bow with a string, like what you'd see on a garment in a clothing store. On this particular Patriot, the certificate said; 60 pounds with a 300 grain and 26 inch draw yeilds a speed of 277 feet per second.

After setting the bow up with an arrow rest and a tied in nock, I grabbed 3 different weigh arrows and headed out to the shop I set my chronograph up about 6 feet infront of one of my bag targets and proceeded to get on with the shootin'[8D][] I must say that without a doubt that there is no need for me to put anything else on this bow to make it any quieter for hunting. Shooting the bow with no sight or stabilizer is very quiet and without shock or vibration. I've spent lots of money on many other bows to get to the same point of quiet operation as this bow is out of the box!!!!!! The '04 VibraBlocks and Hush kit that comes standard with this bow, IMO can't be beat
OK!!!!! Here's the SPPPPEEEEDDDDDDS!!!!!
A 302.1 grain arrow went an even 280 fps[]
A 353 grain arrow went 261 fps
And finally, a heavy for this draw length and weight set up 458.4 grain arrow went 227 fps for 52.46 foot pounds of K.E. That's pretty good energy for such a short draw!!! The wife will be happy with those numbers, especially on Christmas Eve
Finally, the string and cables look to be a very high quality set. Servings are very fine and tight and they cone equipped with 2 eliminator buttons for those of you, like me that shoot directly off the string. I use an eliminator button for a kisser and the wife does also. This eliminated the need for me to install them myself and sure saved a bunch of time. The buttons seem to be made out of a slightly stiffer rubber that what I'm accustomed to seeing and that they are slightly narrower.

In an overall initial summary of the '04 BowTech Patriot VFT, I'd say that BowTech has came a very long way in the last 4 years. I really don't know where more improvements can be made!!! Weight, balance, speed, looks, feel and craftmanship are top shelf on this Patriot!!!!! Now, if MINE would just come in!!!![8D]
Pictures to follow soon!!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:05 PM

Default RE: 2004 BowTech Patriot VFT

Here' a pic of the Patriot VFT all set up
Old 12-24-2003, 02:08 PM

Well, let's try it another way!!

Old 12-24-2003, 02:10 PM

Here's the cam.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:12 PM

Here's the flip side!!

Old 12-24-2003, 02:14 PM

Here's a pic of the lower limb pocket.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:16 PM

Here's the lower riser.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:18 PM

Upper limb pocket.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:19 PM

Here's the sight window.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been waiting for this thread ! the bow look's awsome.I'm still trying to decide which Bow Tech will be on my list for the upcoming season.1} Patriot
2}VFT Extreme
3} Liberty

Nubo