Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fletchings aligning with broadheads? >

fletchings aligning with broadheads?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletchings aligning with broadheads?

Old 12-22-2003, 03:25 PM

Default fletchings aligning with broadheads?

I going to glue in the inserts in my CX 300's I just bought and was wondering if aligning my inserts so that the three broadhead blades align with the three fletchings, will help with arrow flight? or does it not matter? Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:31 PM

Default RE: fletchings aligning with broadheads?

i posted the same question.everybody else said it does not matter.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't hurt to orient the blades to the fletchings, but it doesn't really matter either. Besides, even if you orient the broadheads you've got to the fletchings when you glue the inserts in, each insert will only be oriented for the particular broadhead you use. Change to a different head and the blades won't necessarily be oriented the same.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you actually sit down and think about this you will realize that with out some complex math you will not be able to align the blades to your fletching. If you align them in a straight line with the fletching then by the time the fletching gets to where the blades were they will not be in the same air any way.

You would need to know the exact speed of the arrow, the exact distance form the blades to the fletchings, the exact amount of spin that the fletchings are imparting on the arrow, wind speed and direction (as a head wind would generate more spin than a tail wind) etc...etc... and once one variable changes then it's all for nothing.

Now aligning the blades so that all of the blades on all of your heads match each other and the arrows are all leaving the bow the exact same way may have some effect on how an arrow flys. IE: Blade down, to the right, to the left, or straight up.

But, the most important thing is to make sure that all of the heads spin true with no wobble at all.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:06 PM

I have to second that motion BigBulls, Most important thing is to make sure there is zero wobble in the arrow once you mount the broadhead.

As far as aligning the broadhead to the fletching, I don't think it makes one single bit of difference. But...... I still can't keep myself from doing it!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does'nt make a diferance , use 5" feathers on an offset and you should get good arrow flight out of a well tuned bow . I switched from 4" feathers to 5" feathers this year and the diferance is amazing , it makes a huge diferance .
Old 12-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I generally don't worry about aligning the blades to the fletchings. I do however, try to align all of the broadheads so that they all come off the bow exactly the same. So maybe I align them to the bow. Like most have said, it can't hurt.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

But, the most important thing is to make sure that all of the heads spin true with no wobble at all.
Amen!
Old 12-25-2003, 08:44 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Whenever this question comes up, almost everyone says it's an old wives' tale, yet I still see it recommended from time to time in some bow magazines (usually by old timers).

I've written several magazine suggesting they do an objective test with a Hooter Shooter in order to settle the matter once and for all, but so far none of them has. Anyone know if such a test has ever been done?
Old 12-25-2003, 11:55 AM

i have seen a greater difference on arrow flight with aligned broadheads on arrows that have spin. if it doesnt have rotation in the fletching, then it shouldnt matter. i have them aligned on my cx 200's just for consistant flight throughout the different arrows. so, if you have the chance to align your broadheads, do it...