Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT Arrows >

Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT Arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT Arrows

Old 12-11-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT Arrows

Has anyone has a chance to evaluate these arrows? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carbon Impact Fat Shaft XLT Arrows

I have not had a chance to evaluate the new XLT versions but I've been less than impressed with the standard Fat-shafts & their older Pultruded offerings. I've tried some of the "blues"(low -end) and they were horrid. The Yellow camo models were just as bad even though they should have been more consistent. I would like to try some of their green and gold series, just to see if they can produce a good shaft, but I'm leery to spend the money.

I know Matt/PA shot some of the fat-shafts at one time, perhaps he can relate his experience.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:25 AM

I looked a their website earlier in the week. I was impressed with what they advertized. None of the archery forums have topics on them, their website doesn't list an e-mail address and it seems that Cabela's is the only place that sells them. I liked the idea of .001 total run-out, +/- 1 grain/dozen weight difference and the shaft weight. I'm led to believe that they are just another generic archery product.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowhuntNH
I was impressed with what they advertized.
Oh definitely carbons from many manufacturers look impressive on paper. IRL, however they often fail to live up.

As of right now,my only planned "experiment" for all-carbons this year will be the new Axis ST shafts from Easton. I didn't see anything too interesting from Goldtip for 2004, and Carbon Express will really have to come out with something that gets my interest with their rather large price hike for this coming year.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot CI "Fat shaft" 6500's for 3 seasons.......these aren't the XLT's and I really liked them. I have refletched the bunch I have so many times they look a bit skanky right now, but still very serviceable. Very tough shafts, much tougher in my experience than the Carbon Express CX300's I now shoot of the same length and weight. Actually the Fat Shafts I have showed the best weight tolerances I've seen in all carbon arrows........I weighed 6 finished arrows on a digital grain scale once just for the heck of it and all 6 were within 2 grains either way of each other and 3 of those arrows weighed EXACTLY the same. I never did spin test them but they group very well. I shoot the old "Orange" designation, which was their BETTER shaft.....not the best but good on a straigtness scale. I think they were listed as .003.
The nock end is probably their best attribute but at the same time probably the reason why i am not shooting them right now..........they use a "Roto-Nock" that snaps on an external piece of a solid bushing. They take a POUNDING and resist cracks like no arrow I've ever used, the only bad part is I can't find those nocks anywhere. I could / should just order a bunch but I'm also wanting to try a bunch of arrows lately so I haven't gotten around to it.
Also if you hit one of these in "Robinhood" fashion right down the nock, you can damage that solid extension that the nock presses on to the point where the arrow is now useless because you won't get another nock on once its messed up. Unless you can find a way to remove and replace an epoxied in bushing.