Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me >

Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Old 12-10-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

I see all kinds of formulas and numbers and whatnot for penetration based on KE, momentum etc...

I switched to Alums for this years early season spots and went with the 2312's to cover lines. Shot great and I love them. Hey! I'll hunt with them too! They shoot great and are plenty heavy right! I used My Mighty Mite cause I'm a redneck, I'd just gotten it and I needed to learn how to shoot a short bow (<38" before)

So 3 deer and not a single passthrough. Good hits(one a little too far back) under 20 yards. I used three different heads. Magnus snuffer 3 blade, Steelforce premium, and Magnus Stinger 2 blade...all 125.
Here's the setup.

MM @28" 71.25lb
shooting 28" 2312's (455grains)@ 238-240fps( a little quicker when colder)

I know the KE and I know the Momentum....but why am I not blowing through these deer? I had no problem with my 1995 Martin Cougar and janky Cabela's carbon arrows I started with.

The only thing I can think of is the fat shafts are causing to much friction?!?

Can anyone say, with certainty, that it make that much difference? I want to stick with heavier arrows (I shot much lighter before) but I really want to know what the story is with this setup.

Whassup??
Old 12-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Nobody can answer your question. No way to track the wound paths in each deer to see what the arrow hit. (The offside shoulder is even better at stopping an arrow than the nearside shoulder is!) Maybe you just had a run of bad luck and got only armor plated deer in front of you this season.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:01 PM

you want the head to create a large enough hole so the arrow can slip through it easily. A fat shaft and a tight hole is good for somethings but not for pass throughs..
Old 12-10-2003, 05:03 PM

I have a similar setup, only difference being carbon arrows (similar weight though, 425 gr) and Muzzy 3 blade 100's, which should penetrate LESS than the braodheads you mentioned. One nice muley doe, complete passthrough and one nice pronghorn buck, complete passthrough even hitting shoulder blade on far side. So I guess I am saying, maybe it is the arrows, but does not sound right. Just unlucky???[&:] Curious to see what others say.

JMAC
Old 12-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experiance(for what its worth), the bigger diameter aluminum could be alittle bit of the problem, but shouldn't really matter that much. My experience with people who don't get penetration always points to a bow thats not tuned perfectly. Seriously, if your bow isn't tuned perfectly, your penetration is greatly reduced. You can't see this when you shoot, you must paper test at several distances and even bare shaft test. The heads you were shooting should penetrate like crazy. Maybe with the speed your shooting, you're getting a slight planing situation thats not concentrating all your arrows energy to its center?

Your problem would be frustrating! Good luck fixing it!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Just my opinion but..........a 2512 is not a heavy hunting arrow at your bow weight. Its on the low end of being recommended. 455 grains at 71 lbs for a hunting arrow? Add about 50 grains or more and you will see more penetration!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't get it at all! I am hearing guys lots of guys telling they don't get the penetration they desire after all the chronographing and using KE formulas. Let me put it this way. Back when I shot fingers, using 540 grain hunting arrows at 60 to 64 lbs., shooting 40% and 50% letoff bows, I was blowing through deer just like butter.

As for me, I have seen the light. For hunting, I am going back heavier. Speed and KE is all overblown to a point....you have to have balance between speed and momentum.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I did not do the KE formula for your setup I would have a hard time believing your situation if I was in it. Your arrows are of sufficient weight....your arrow speed is relatively good considering the rest of your setup....and the heads you are using are probably some of the best out there in terms of penetration with any setup.

The only things left are shot placement and bow tune. If, as Arthur mentioned, you are hitting the far shoulder then no amount of KE or momentum is going to get the arrow to pass through. On the other hand, if your arrows are not flying totally "straight and true" then you are probably loosing energy and subsequent penetration there as well.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr
The only things left are shot placement and bow tune. If, as Arthur mentioned, you are hitting the far shoulder then no amount of KE or momentum is going to get the arrow to pass through. On the other hand, if your arrows are not flying totally "straight and true" then you are probably loosing energy and subsequent penetration there as well.

Exactly my thoughts as well.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly my thoughts as well.
I am glad we are in agreement with this one...

..on the other hand it could be that rat trap of a bow you are shooting. Who in their right mind would want to shoot a Bowtech...and a Mighty Mite at that?

Just kidding ofcourse.

Quick Reply: Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.