Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me >

Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Old 12-11-2003, 06:39 AM

Default RE: Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

I paper tested at 5,15 and 20yards...bullets with field points. Tuned for groups out to 35 and made no adjustments other than toying with the sight a little.

I shot for groups out to 35 with Bheads (all three before I hunted with them) and ALL hit slightly(1/2" @20 a little more at 35) low and left, but all consistent and very tight groups(for me) so I just adjusted the sight again.

Does this indicate a tuning issue? What do I need to do to correct it?

Here's another thought. When I paper tune it's inside at a balmy 60-65degrees and when I hunt...well I live in Michigan I know the cold weather creates a little stiffer limb as I chronyd inside and out and it's noticably faster cold.

Enough of a difference to throw my tuning goofy? Seems like I'd just hit a little higher (and that has been what I found when shooting broadheads outside for practice) but hell I don't know. Seems like I should be poking right through.

Frank ...are you coveting the Mighty Mite again?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:43 AM

True shot, did you recover the deer? if you did, remembering the angle which you shot where would the arrow exit if it exited. Proper arrow placement should bring the arrow out just behind the far front leg. down low where the knuckel is. If you aim for that exit place the entrance is automatically set for you. If you can do it the arrow should get both lungs and some heart. Most make the mistake of bringing the arrow through two far forward and run into the far shoulder bones which stops the arrow... So to answear your question I need more exact information on where you are placeling your arrows...
Old 12-11-2003, 06:59 AM

One was a mercy kill. My buddy spined it way back and I shot it laying down, slightly quartering @ 8yards. Only penetrated 14-16 inches (He did flinch at the shot a little so I wasn't too worried at this point)

The second was 6-7 yards, dead broadside,steep angle (18 feet) and the shot was a little far back. Liver area. I found the arrow 20-25 yards down the trail...couldn't tell if she pulled it or it fell, but either way it wasn't sticking in the ground on the other side like I had hoped.

Now I'm worried. I paper tune again (field points) and shoot for groups. Cool. Back to the broadheads...shoot groups. Same thing, sligtly low and left. Adjust sight and very tight(for me) out to 35.

The next deer could have actually been stopped by the opposing shoulder. This one ran onto private property and was recovered...but not by me. Never found the arrow, but what tracking I did indicated a single entrance would. A very LARGE single entrance, but only one. I did clip the front shoulder there as it was not being used during the death run.

The first and second stories are the ones that stress me out. I'm hesitant to finish the season till I figure what's going on.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, unlike 'some people', I'm gonna pass on comments about the bow.

But I am going to agree with Coug about the arrows. A 2312 sucks for a hunting arrow. Arrows with walls that thin are awful darned fragile. IMO, any time you go less than .014" in wall thickness with an aluminum hunting arrow, you're asking for, and will likely recieve, nothting but trouble. In fact, it's beercan arrows like the 2312 and 2213 that gifted carbons with their overinflated reputation!

Slap a 2315 on that bow next time and see what it does when it hits an animal.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Arthur in regard to his comments about thin walled aluminums however, I noticed you mentioned tuning with field points at 5, 15, etc... but did not see if you paper tuned or even group tuned at relatively short distances? If not then it is entirely possible that your arrow is not entirely stable (recovery) at the distance you mentioned shooting the first and second animals.

Other than that possibility and the opposite shoulder suggestion I am at a loss.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 AM

Sounds like I need an entirely new setup
Old 12-11-2003, 08:12 AM

A few comments

I know the cold weather creates a little stiffer limb as I chronyd inside and out and it's noticably faster cold.
Thats not true. Any difference you saw in the chrono was due to diff. lighting.

and I shot it laying down, slightly quartering @ 8yards. Only penetrated 14-16 inches
What do you want it to do - pass thru the earth and come out in China....LOL. I think the ground stoped that one.

The second was 6-7 yards, dead broadside,steep angle (18 feet) and the shot was a little far back
Deer get tough up by the spine. Throw in some form problems with such a steep angle and it very well could come out of the bow "funny" and not recover in that short distance.

The next deer could have actually been stopped by the opposing shoulder
I would not be concerned about that.

455 grns is PLENTY havy enough for whitetail - especially with the good heads you are using.

I see nothing that would concern me about any of your stories or your setup.

Go hunt enjoy
Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 AM

trushot when I shoot at a deer I am aiming at something I can't see. The area just behind the far front leg of the deer. I want the arrow to exit around that area. I use the side cloests to me for a referance and then line up the sight pin so that I have a straight line from the pin to the low far front leg area. this dicates the entrance point which changes with everystep and turn the deer takes.
The bottom line is to learn to aim for the exit hole. Get it just behind that far front leg and that should take the arrow thru both lungs. Get the exit hole low on the body cavity and the blood can drain leaving a good blood trail..

learn to do it and I'll bet you will start getting pass throughs again.. I do with a 58 lb pull bow.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 AM

I think you need to paper tune at 5 feet, 10 feet, maybe 15 feet. By 5 yards, you arrow is already stabilized. Look up 5 Shots tuning guide. Just my thoughts.

JMAC
Old 12-11-2003, 11:28 AM

I know the cold weather creates a little stiffer limb as I chronyd inside and out and it's noticably faster cold.

Thats not true. Any difference you saw in the chrono was due to diff. lighting.
This was also confirmed by my arrow hitting higher at 20yards though Rack?? No other adjustments at all.??? I re-set the site and 3 days later was at an idoor shop (warm) and was hitting low again?? You may be right but something's going on there.

What do you want it to do - pass thru the earth and come out in China....
Uhhh...Yeah! What do I need to do to get that??
Ok...Ok I'd settle for halfway at the earth's core

And I actually did paper tune point blank before the 5 yards ya'll...I figured that was a given. Never bare shaft and never with broadheads though.

Quick Reply: Penetration.I know, I know...hunor me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.