Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Finding the right grip consistently >

Finding the right grip consistently

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finding the right grip consistently

Old 02-04-2002, 01:17 AM

Default Finding the right grip consistently

I shoot a Starmaster with sights,release aid and prong rest. The arrows are carbon, weigh 5.2 grains per pound and ep26 fletches.

Now the problem. I seem to be shooting left most of the time. My 3D scores are erratic, one weekend I will shoot in the 90's and the next I am in the 40's. I took the bow to the Pro Shop and they gave it a "clean bill of health"

It appears to be my grip. Sometimes I just find the right spot and everything falls into place. But I just can't seem to find the that right grip spot consistently.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can consistently grip the bow correctly and shoot good scores? Some club members have even got marks tattooed on their bowhand
Old 02-04-2002, 02:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2002, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2002, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Finding the right grip consistently

I curl my pinky into my palm when I grab my bow and that keeps my palm lined up consistantly all the time. Then I just open my hand when I draw so that I am shooting with a relaxed hand... once there is pressure on the bow, it will stay wherever you put it to start with.

A sight level really helps too - that way you can see if you are canting the bow at all.

_________
SuperX
Old 02-04-2002, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do the same as SuperX, only I curl both my pinky and ring finger under, and loosely wrap the other two fingers around the front of the handle. I also use talcum powder on my hand and grip so that my hand slides into the same place each time. I don't like sticky rubber grips, like so many manufacturers have started using instead of wood or hard plastic, that won't let my hand settle into the same place each time.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:31 AM

I too shoot with an open hand. As I draw my index finger is resting against the side of my X-ring stabilizer. It seems to help me with a consistent grip
Old 02-04-2002, 10:37 AM

..try putting a no-peep on the bow...set it to be right on. from then on if you are gripping the bow differently, it will clearly show it.

i feel putting one on my bow was a good way of training me to hold/draw the same each time. i am pretty much right on all the time now. (although it does not ensure perfect shots...i am proof of that)

John
Old 02-04-2002, 11:20 AM
nub

Wallaby: Do you shoot to the left at all distances? Or just when your near or far?
Old 02-04-2002, 01:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
How do you do shooting at a practice range?Performance at a 3-d course is very hard to judge since every one is so different.Are you using a level on your sight?Maybe your trying to follow the arrow and dropping your bow at release.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

On the practice range I have the same problem, but I just move my hand around a bit until I find the right spot and then everything is okay.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Most grip problems are a result of gripping the bow-either before, during, or after the shot. Try shooting with an open, RELAXED, hand, and make yourself keep an open hand until the arrow hits the target. Some say they can do this without a rope, but it's nearly impossible if the shot is a surprise, so use a rope if you don't already use one. Someone with good form at 20 yards can change their grip to only hold with their thumb and the arrow will still hit in the same spot. It all boils down to maintaining consistant pushing and pulling, and shooting with a realaxed grip.

Try to keep in mind, your bow hand only holds the bow up-almost like a forked stick. Some of the grip advices here are great for establishing a consistant starting point-that is a must, but if you grip your bow in any way, or your hand is not relaxed, you can throw all of the other advice out the window.

Try keeping that hand open until the arrow hits the target, and see if your right to lefts are reduced. Don't try without the rope though!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.

Quick Reply: Finding the right grip consistently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.