Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Evolution of bows

That' d be one of the gizmo' s that I would not want. My opinion is that it would be going too far. Heck, I wouldn' t be surprised to see something like that in the next 5 years. Along with live action hologram decoys, photon arrows and personal teleports to beam you directly to the deer.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Along with live action hologram decoys,
Hey, now there is something I could go for. It would beat carrying all 80 lbs of my goose decoys into the fields when I go goose hunting.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:53 AM

A long time ago, there existed a sport called " bowhunting." You can read about it in the historical records preserved at the Smithsonian.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2003, 10:40 AM

I' m actually in agreement with c903 on this one. I' d like the bow and accessory comapanies work on ergonomics, quietness and reliability of their current products before doing anything else. My current setup is complicated enough. I' ve gone to great lengths to buy the most robust setup that I can find....even one of the simplest rests on the market that c903 hates

My wife wants to buy me a really nice bow for our 10th anniversery. She can' t believe that I want a recurve and some traditional equipment. I want something I don' t have to maintain all the time and worry about. Something that I don' t have to worry about sights getting knocked out of whack, buss cables getting frayed, peeps sights cutting strings, bushings going out of cams, dirt in the idler wheel, limbs cracking, risers bending, etc..etc... It would be nice to be able to say, " I missed" and not blame it on the bow, the sights, the broadhead.

There' s something magical about the simplicity of traditional equipment and a few more of us ought to try it now and then.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

AKDoug:

You have a wife who wants you to have a special bow for your 10th anniversary.

The rest is gravy!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:30 AM

Ya, I have looked into some trad equipment also. Have you priced a nice Osage bow lately( $5-600?) And you thought new technology was expensive! If you crack a limb on that bow you are out BIG TIME! I actually have an Osage tree near me that needs to come down, so maybe 6 or 7 years from now when I am older and wiser I' ll cut that puppy down split it into staves and whittle myself out a few, in the truly traditional way. In the meantime however, I am quite content to hunt with my technologically advanced equipment.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

I also definately see this trend beginning to grow--everyone is going back to the " basics" it seems, my traditional sales rose almost 30% in 2003.

Why? Gee, I don' t know. Could be people are sick of being force-fed all of the marketing BS from manufacturers and are just rebelling.[] I must admit I also sometimes get sick of all of the " hype" ads that you know will be completely turned around the following year to say the exact opposite once people start actually figuring things out.[X(]

And, alot of these guys who switch back to basics seem to be having more fun again, because they are SHOOTING (what a concept!) instead of worrying about how fast the bow is, or how quiet, or what the force-draw is, or if it has straight and level nock travel, and who' s limbs are best, who' s riser is best, etc,etc, etc.

30% in one year. I think the manufacturers of the high-tech equipment might wanna re-think their marketing strategies a bit for the future. JMHO Pinwheel 12
Old 11-13-2003, 09:00 AM

The aspect I dislike most about modern gear was summed up by AK. When you carry a modern bow into the woods you have to treat it as a finely honed instrument, being extra careful not to get a twig caught on your peep tubing or wedged into the idler track [:@]. Where I hunt, I usually have to almost crawl to my treestand because of the thickness of the brush. I read somewhere that I should use my equipment to brush away foliage to minimize my scent, ya right. I carry that thing like a baby through the brush. I have often thought -If this were a long bow it would be lighter, I could strap it on my back or use it as a walking stick, firewood, fishin' pole, club, etc... [>:] !
Each path has its own advantages and disadvantages. I would like to have the option to use either or, depending on the hunt. Unfortunately for me I have expensive taste, and this prohibits me from purchasing the stickbow I would like to have. i.e my wife would kill me if I spent 600+ dollars on trad gear and a wooden bow. [:@]
Old 11-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Redpath:

May I suggest that you look into Checkmate Recurve bows. Nice products, excellent pricing!

As Frank mentioned, I am OLD (51), and get a little crotchety when people start talking about quantum leaps in technology. I guess I just don' t get the point sometimes. Even so, I am interested when new bows come out.

I currently have a great bow. It is set up simply (by my standards, anyway). No peep sight, 3 pin fiber optic sight (which I may change to something simpler till next year), a Winn release that I clip directly on the string, and the dreaded " Whacking Basket" rest. It shoots broadheads perfectly straight, and as accurately as I can shoot. I don' t worry about anything happening to it though.

If I am going to try something new for next year, it will probably be a stickbow of some kind. I don' t know if I will get good enough to hunt with it or not, but I will be able to shoot it when I take my boys to a local club and shoot their paper animal round. That is more important to me right now.

I don' t really begrudge anyone trying to develop new products, but I am pretty analytical when they start telling me I need them.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.