Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow) >

Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Old 11-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Hey guys....

I just learned something today up at Green Top Sporting Goods (nice hunting/fishing store here in Richmond, VA - yes, they have a bow shop too). You all heard about my old " Ebay special" : PSE Edge 1000C series lefty bow, dual cam vortex round wheel, 41" ATA, 65# draw weight, 65% let-off, 30" draw length, Tru-Glo sights, TM Hunter rest, donut peep, etc...etc... It' s a heavy ol' reliable bow and a straight shooter at that. I like it. [:-]

Anyway, while I was up at Green Top Sporting Goods, getting some Easton XX75 #2315' s made for me, I was talking to the guy in the bow shop about my bow. I told him how I picked up a cheap Wal-Mart 31" carbon arrow meant for 65-70 bows and tried to shoot it in my back yard target bag with field points. He stopped me right there almost in mid-sentence. He said, " Those old PSE' s, the Thunder Flite' s, The Fire Flite' s, yours - the Edge 1000 type, are really NOT meant to shoot carbons. The bow is too heavy for them. If you want to go carbon, give me your bow and I' ll have to reduce the poundage and readjust your rest for you, but truthfully, I' d don' t recommend it.

Wow! I guess it' s a case of having a 1996 PSE dual cam bow that is a bit heavy and bulky, but it gets excellent groupings with #2315' s and 125gr tips. So...... I guess that' s what I will shoot.

Anyone ever heard of stuff like this, where a bow isn' t really recommended to shoot carbons?

Butch
Old 11-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Butch.
I am not in the same class as Len or Pinwheel but that is the first time I have heard anything like that.

There are plenty of bows out there with more umph than yours that shoots carbon arrows very well.

Are you sure this guy knows what he is doing?
Old 11-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sure... The guy is good. He was the one helped check over and setup my bow the first time I got it off Ebay. He works with another guy who is fantastic. But I go to this guy because, like me, he' s a lefty and knows how my old bow will shoot.

I think it' s not a case of shooting 65# draw weight, I think he' s getting at my PSE Edge 1000C - by itself - is very heavy, compared to a new Bowtech, a Parker or Martin, etc...

All I know is that it was set to shoot 31" XX75 2315' s with 125gr tips. Just a little while ago, I was shooting in my backyard at the target back at 30 yards and I was getting 1" groups with the new Easton 2315' s that he cut for me.

Butch
Old 11-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know of any reason why you CAN' T shoot carbons from that bow. I personally shoot carbons from my Darton Viper, which is actually an older design than your PSE. In fact, the viper shoots those carbons just as quietly, and (for me) more accurately than the MQ 1 that I had last year.

The shop owner may be concerned about shooting very light carbons from an older design bow. Doing so may make the bow more noisy to shoot, and possibly more prone to damage.

Personally, I don' t think I would switch from those 2315' s the way they seem to shoot for you. JMHO.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

He said, " Those old PSE' s, the Thunder Flite' s, The Fire Flite' s, yours - the Edge 1000 type, are really NOT meant to shoot carbons.
LOL, well that' s funny. Up until last month I was shooting my 10yr old PSE Fire-Flite with Beman ICS Hunter arrows. I just took my bow to the shop and told them I wanted carbon arrows. That' s what they gave me.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeramyK
I just took my bow to the shop and told them I wanted carbon arrows. That' s what they gave me.
Really? Hmmmm.... Maybe the guy in the bow shop just has a personal preference, I guess. I don' t know...

Butch
Old 11-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting my PSE Mach-6 with carbons from the day i got it.
I have to mention I did it with ACC which are more heavyer than the Beman ICS as someone answered, but i guess i could shoot those to.
But a question.....That K-mart arrow you mentioned.....Was it comming with one of those outnocks or anything?
The bow you talking about can easely split those cheap nocks on releasing.
Maybe thats what the shop guy means.....
Old 11-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

That 31" carbon arrow from Wal-Mart already had the nock on it, and the screw in tip adapter. It was made by Wolverine and was just a cheesy, generic, $2.95 type of carbon arrow.

I did take a few shots with it, and it was okay, but shot about 3-4" too low (it sat too low in my TM Hunter rest).

Butch
Old 11-10-2003, 05:19 PM

I shoot an older Mathews bow set at 70# and I shoot some ACC' s through it. It shoots better than some of the newer bows. I' d put it against any bow out there with the ACC' s.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:11 AM

I don' t know the fella or his reasoning, but you should have no trouble shooting any carbon shaft rated for your draw lenght and proper spine rating. As long as it falls within the recommended specs of arrow weight for the bow... ie.. 5 grains /# , you should be just fine. Now he could be concerned with the age of the bow and the wear and tear already on it... but if that is the case he should have been up front with that when he checked it over and talked with PSE to get a recommendation on refitting kit.

Brian

Pse Pro staff Vermont

Quick Reply: Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.