Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow) >

Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Old 11-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Spike

Default RE: Can' t shoot carbons? (my old PSE bow)

Butch-he may have the same take as we do, a bow with steel cables and tear drop ends, is safer with alu. shafts. if the bow don' t have a fast-flight string or better, don' t shoot light carbons. most of the bows with steel cables [about 60%] that have blown-up have been shooting carbons. this is just what we have seen in the shop over the last 4 years. no facts but why take a chance on busting your bow or getting hurt. M2C. jim
Old 11-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

True.... I was looking at Easton' s website going over all the arrows and charts and so on. My bow is set to use 2315' s, that' s what I am used to, and that' s what the bow is used to also. They give me great groupings at 30 yards, so I guess the saying " if it ain' t broke, don' t fix it" comes into play.

BTW... 2315... What does it stand for? Is " 23" the diameter in millimeters and " 15" the thickness of the aluminum? - that' s what I assume it means.

Butch
Old 11-14-2003, 10:56 AM

23 is the arrows outside diameter in 64ths of an inch, 23/64" .
15 is the wall thickness, in thousandts, .015" thick.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

The old bows with steel cables and teardrop hooks for the string... Those are the ones I wouldn' t recommend for shooting carbon arrows when set over about 60 pounds. I saw way too many people getting cable lashed when those first generation Bemans came out in the 80' s. The arrows were too light for the heavy draws and caused the swages that held the teardrops on the cables to fail.

That was the highest incidence of failure. Second was the cable breaking at the pigtail. Busted limbs and broken risers were quite a ways on down the list, but were also pretty common. There were lots of very good bows completely destroyed before IBO came up with the 5 grains per pound rule.

You can always tell an idiot from the early days of 3D by the scars on his face and arms, the numerous bends his nose takes and the crowns or caps on his front teeth. IF he' s got any teeth left.

I agree with the tech about using light arrow weight to draw weight ratios on older bows. Remember that the manufacturers didn' t begin using 5 grains per pound minimum for arrow weights until very recently. It was 6 grains per pound when that bow was built. At any rate, shooting the minimum has just never seemed very dang smart to me. But then, my point of view is very much a product of my experiences. Can' t get over the memory all the first aid I had to do in those early days of 3D.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

PSE Edge 1000C
I replyed to this topic before but i didnt realized the teardrops and steel cables.
I agree with the others....its no good for the bow.
However, there are also heavy weighted carbons, but than again, whats the use, huh?

I had completly forgot there about teardrops and steel cables.....
Sorry.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nah, Raymond. Those teardrop things were practically long gone (and good riddance) before Butch' s bow was made in 96. (Some kiddie bows still use them I think.) I was simply saying those teardrop bows are the ones I wouldn' t put a standard, light carbon arrow on. I' m sure any old bow would do fine with carbon, as long as arrow weight doesn' t go below 6 grains per pound. And 7 would probably be even better if it wears teardrops.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:12 PM

Than by definition are we calling carbons lighter than allum' s? Seems to me the arrow weight is the real factor...metal or carbon?