Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Technology

Old 11-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Technology

Kevin, just to soothe your curiosity, 65% is the highest letoff I' ve got. I' ve had a couple that were 75%, but I got rid of them pretty quick. Fell for that theory that people with bad shoulders NEED high letoff and found out it was a figment of someone' s overactive imagination. Those things HURT!

I disagree the line has been crossed. With P&Y' s action, the line hasn' t only been crossed, it' s been erased. I wish everyone that was opposed to P&Y' s rules a grudging and very sarcastic congratulations on their victory. [:' (]

As for what bow I' d recommend to a new shooter? A recurve.

Joe, give all your kids my best regards, but especially your barebow shooter. He' s going to learn a lot more about how a bow really works and a lot quicker than the other two.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I' m just curious fellas, what would YOU recommend to a new bowhunter in terms of equipment??

Bow:
Arrows:
Rest:
Stabilizer:
Release:
or
glove/tab:
Sight:

Now, two things to remember. This mythical archer is NEW, and it' s YOUR recommendation
Danny,

Probably a PSE Nova with Vector wheels...inexpensive GG2 or inexpensive ICS carbons. I would probably recommend the inexpensive PSE package deal that comes from the company as it includes just about everything you mentioned above and at somewhat of a discounted price...plus, it is made to fit their bows. My thought would be that the beginning archer should start with something that has " forgiving" characteristics and yet is also relatively inexpensive to boot. Considering the craze these days is relatively short, fast bows with all of the bells and whistles, it is not surprising to find that many of the super-forgiving models are the less expensive ones. The PSE Nova in particular is in the mid range in terms of just about all of its physical characteristics...axle to axle length, brace height, mass weight, etc... and yet the round/energy wheels make it relatively easy to draw for most folks. It does have a standard 75% letoff though....
Old 11-19-2003, 05:05 AM

The point is, if we all had 99% letoff bows, EVERYONE could hold a bow at full draw for several minutes. Thats getting pretty darn close to a crossbow, IMHO.