Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Technology

Old 11-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Technology

I know the politically correct, non-elitist thing would be to accept everything, but I simply cannot. I stated my reasons earlier.
I do not know if I would classify my view of things in this manner though I understand where you are coming from and respect you greatly for expressing it here. Just for the record, I do not accept everything either....the difference being that I choose to " draw the line" at a different level than what is normally represented here.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:47 PM

I' m just curious fellas, what would YOU recommend to a new bowhunter in terms of equipment??

Bow:
Arrows:
Rest:
Stabilizer:
Release:
or
glove/tab:
Sight:

Now, two things to remember. This mythical archer is NEW, and it' s YOUR recommendation.

I' m just curious as to what you' d recommend.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:18 PM

ArthurP..what is your let off on your bow?

To each their own I guess. But speaking of technology. Which is closer in reality....
a 99 percent bow compared to a 65 or 80 percent let off....or that same 65 percent let off to a recurve?

Again Im not advocating either way but when we have already crossed a line, and for those that have, which is the switch to any percentage let off, who are we to judge which amount is ethical, legal, etc.....does that make sense?

Has anyone ever noticed the place most people " draw the line" is where they are.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:25 PM

Bow: any quality, inexpensive bow with good resale value if they choose to give up the sport

Arrows: Carbon arrows, since they will take a pounding with a new archer

Rest: a simple effective prong type rest

Stabilizer: dont care but he should have something

Release: Stanislawski back tension release. I honestly feel if more people learned to shoot with this release and use back tension they would be much better hunters, start them with this for a few months then for hunting they can switch.
or
glove/tab:

Sight: 1 pin 20 yds...since they are new, they should be limiting their shots to this distance anyways...

Well thats my opinions, go ahead trash away
Old 11-18-2003, 01:28 PM

Kevin, the thread was never about compound vs recurve. It was about what benefits have come from technology. It kind of morphed into " what advances helped the average archer the most" . Only recently has it morphed again into a traditional vs. modern debate.

I hope I can speak for everyone here when I say that as long as it' s legal, go for it. But some of us think that some of the advances have not " helped" the average archer " more" than others have.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:30 PM

Stanislawski back tension release.
For a newbie???? I don' t want to be around!!! LOL
Old 11-18-2003, 01:31 PM

Danny,
I know what your saying. I guess the point I was attempting to make is when we stepped from the recurve to the compound we advanced so much their already. I suppose if the internet would have been around then the same question would have come across. I just think a 99 percent let off is more closely related to any let off than any let off is related to a recurve. I am not the one to judge what or where the limit or line in the sand should be. As stated...." to each their own"
Old 11-18-2003, 01:32 PM

For a newbie???? I don' t want to be around!!! LOL

well I have been there and its always interesting. But after a little instruction and some frustration on their part they become better shots more quickly than someone jamming the trigger home and then having to deal with target panic and everything else.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:35 PM

Kevin, I know what you' re saying. Think about the first compound bow. The Allen. I believe it was a four wheeler like the old Whitetail, and had 25% let-off? I' m at least glad we got past that stage!!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur: sorry I got the wrong idea from your post.

BTW, I think I remember that Legislator. He was always trying to shorten archery season. I didn' t realize he referred to scenarios where his son became Robin Hood.

I like most of what is out there. I do think that the Manufacturers, in order to maintain, or increase their market share, seem compelled to come up with a new " gotta have" line of bows and accessories every year. Most who know me know that I tend to stay a year or 2 behind the cutting edge, and generally end up paying half price for my bows. I have sold a few bows that some on the internet forums call the greatest compound bows of all time. I wasn' t that impressed with them, personally. If you go out hunting with the attitude that you HAVE to get a deer though, I don' t think you are enjoying the experience too much.

Danny45: My 3 Newbies (sons) are set up as follows.

2 have round wheel bows with a single pin sight (for now) with caliper releases and whisker biscuit rests. Aluminum arrows for right now.

The third (acutally #2) shoots a round wheel bow with finger tab and no sights. This is his preference, and he is generally good enough to shoot that way. He is pretty decent with his longbow too. I do have a single cam bow waiting for him if he wants it.

Quick Reply: Technology

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.