Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Help identifying this bow. >

Help identifying this bow.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help identifying this bow.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default Help identifying this bow.

Ok so I got this bow from afriend, any information on it would be greatly appreciated. I had a few direct questions about it.

What do I need to make this bow functional?
What would such a long bow be used for?
How much is it worth?
What size arrows do I need?
Is it worth trying to use or should I just hang it up?

Thanks I'm fairly new to bows so really any help is appreciated, I plan on checking out some other threads but if you have any good places to start that would be great.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I did not know Outers ever produced bows; I always think of them as a gun-care products company. But, I ran across this ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-OUTERS-...#ht_2414wt_924
If you look on Ebay, bows from that era don't bring a high price -- definitely under $100, maybe under $50.
If you want to put it into service, I'd take it to a pro shop, but I'd also say your money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murdy
I did not know Outers ever produced bows; I always think of them as a gun-care products company. But, I ran across this ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-OUTERS-...#ht_2414wt_924
If you look on Ebay, bows from that era don't bring a high price -- definitely under $100, maybe under $50.
If you want to put it into service, I'd take it to a pro shop, but I'd also say your money would be better spent elsewhere.

I would concur wholeheartedly. I began shooting compounds back in 1974, hunting and competitively and never saw an Outers bow. Unless you are a collector I'd pass on it. Frankly I've given better bows away to beginners.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ASneakyKat
Ok so I got this bow from afriend, any information on it would be greatly appreciated. I had a few direct questions about it.

What do I need to make this bow functional? At a MINIMUM it would need a new string AND new cables! And that ONLY AFTER a complete looking over (including removing the limbs from the riser pockets and inspecting everything under there) by someone who knows what they are looking at and for
What would such a long bow be used for? Those types of bows (I likewise didn't know Outers "made" bows but that style was the norm/common back in those days.) were used to kill ALOT of deer back in that era. But that didn't mean they were easy nor comfortable to use!
How much is it worth? If a broke widow was selling it for decoration I'd give her $20 just help out, take it to my hunting lodge and hang it on the wall for decor. But if I were going to actually spend the money getting it ready for the range/woods then I'd demand it be FREE! You'll spend more having someone string and cable it than it's worth.
What size arrows do I need? That all depends on what your draw length and weight are plus what size heads you are going to shoot. I'd only recommend shooting aluminum shafts out of that thing so simply look at an Easton aluminum chart to answer that question.
Is it worth trying to use or should I just hang it up? You shoot a bow like that because you either want to for nostalgia/sentimental reasons, belong to an "older tackle club" or you want the challenge. (If you want a REAL challenge then skip this old bow and look for a nice recurve!) I personally would hang it on the wall and call it even.

Thanks I'm fairly new to bows so really any help is appreciated, I plan on checking out some other threads but if you have any good places to start that would be great.
Seeing if this works?