Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to Know Which String I Need? >

How to Know Which String I Need?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to Know Which String I Need?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Spike

Default How to Know Which String I Need?

I have an older wooden compound bow that was recently given to me. The string is a little frayed and I would like to replace it. How do I know what I need and where is a good place to find one? I'm not sure how the strings are measured. This one is 34 1/2 inches from loop to loop. Gander Mountain told me I would have to bring it over for them to look at. I was told they would run anywhere from $40 to $200! Are they really that much? The bow's probably not worth $50, but I like it. I borrowed a bow press from a guy at work and I'll change it myself.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Polyester (dacron). I'm assuming you have the lead teardrops for the string to attach to. $40 is a bit steep. Send me a p.m. and I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Spike

if you go to www.60XCustomStrings.com and search teardrop you will find that string for $9 with free shipping. I'm guessing your current string has stretched and you need a 34" string. If you have any questions feel free to pm or email us and I can get you headed in the right direction.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

If your Gander Mtn is like mine, I WONT let them touch ANY of my equipment!

Assuming you find out the correct length and type of string) If the existing string is safe enough to draw with (back the limbs out as much as safely possible) and if the steel teardrops feature "double ears" on each end, then you don't need to press it to change the string. Have someone stand beside you with the new string and while you draw it back they can then put the loops of the new string on the other ears/teardrops of the cable and then when you let the bow down the new string will be shorter because it hasn't stretched. Then you can simply remove the old string because it will no longer have any tension on it. (Used to do that for MANY years when I worked in a bowshop in the 80s and up until about the late 90s when by then the majority of customers bows had synthetic strings and cables so the teardrops were no more!)