Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Should I of bought the Legacy >

Should I of bought the Legacy

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Should I of bought the Legacy

Old 09-28-2003, 06:23 PM

Default RE: Should I of bought the Legacy

Thanks for all the replys. I will take all this info see what I can do. I haven' t had my draw weight checked recently but I was at 65 and then turned it up. I want to go to the pro shop have this checked. I know accuracy is the important thing and I am very confident with myself reguarding that. I just want a little more speed now.
Greg.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

With that draw weight you should be a good bit faster with those arrows, maybe the cam is not in the optimal position.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:21 AM

From The Archery Program, with Camo 5575 XT' s, 100gr. and vanes which would weigh 383 gr., on a FX 28" 65# you should be shooting 261.05 fps for 57.9 ft/lbs KE.

My Altitude shoots 250 fps with the same setup, 65# 28" , GT 5575 XT camo' s 100gr., and I consider it a relatively fast bow.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I never shot the FX, I decided between the Legacy and the LX. The LX seemed a little more noisy, and had a more radical cam so I went with the Legacy and haven' t looked back. I shoot a 29" arrow at 55 pounds so that falls into the AMO equation. The IBO speed is measured by something like a 70 pound bow at 30" draw. (I' m probably wrong but I' m close to the specs)

Finally don' t get caught up in the speed thing. If you' d underspine your arrows and crank up the weight, you could easily reach speeds over 400 fps. Wouldn' t be able to hit the wall of barn even when standing inside, but hey, you' d have a fast bow.

Remember if you can easily hit the spot your aiming at, the FX will work for you.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:05 PM

I just want a little more speed now.
A little more speed will not be noticable in any hunting situation, but getting there may really screw up your arrow flight, especially with broadheads. Be careful about what you set as a priority. Accuracy is at least 10 times more important than speed.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:50 PM

Dont worry - 245 is PLENTY enough speed.... FYI - I bought a Fred Bear Code a few years ago at the last minute because my VERY old bows cam was messed up... anyway That bow shoots slow compared to almost anything thats selling today from Mathews... but I got 2 8 points with it that never knew what hit them. I bought it because it felt good..... thats the truth - It was smooth, and I could shoot it great. I just purchased a new AR 34.... and I too shot the Mathews LX, Legacy.... the proshop where I shot the LX tried hard to convince me the Mathews was the only way to go.... but I got the AR - Why ?? Because it felt good to me - period.

The most important thing is YOUR bow in YOUR hand.... if it feels right - it is right.... who cares if the Legacy shoots 20 FPS faster ?? If you shoot the FX better than you are WAY better off..... you will shoot better, and more consistant with a bow that feels good, and one more thing, a faster bow is also a more demanding bow for the shooter.....

You did good - a LOT of deer have been harvested with an FX.... so do not worry - start shooting !!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:49 PM

Here is how I look at it... your bow shoots 245 fps.... the other bow shoots 308.. ok what is the speed of sound??? its like 2000 fps... (guestimate)no matter how fast your bow shoots its NEVER gonna shoot that fast... so oof course you want to shoot at a favorable speed but as long as you are accurate and QUIET.. then thats all that matters.. Im shooting 253 fps with 51lbs of KE.. thats PLENTY to kill lots of deer.. its been done with less.. I believe you have a great bow... be proud of it.. b/c if you second guess your equipment then you second guess yourself which throws off accuracy and self cofidence..
Old 09-30-2003, 02:37 PM

I had an FX and I shot 28" draw with Gold Tip arrows and 85gr. tips at 68-70 lbs. and I got 273fps out of it. I used a peep without tubing and my arrows only measure 27 1/4 inch with my rest set back a little.