Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Can't seem to hit the target, what gives? >

Can't seem to hit the target, what gives?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can't seem to hit the target, what gives?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Spike

Default Can't seem to hit the target, what gives?

I just bought a Mathews Helim and it doesnt seem like its very accurate, I have a Cobra site (some 30.00$ cheap one) and a Trophy Ridge arrow rest (the top of the line one) and while I've fired the bow only about 10 times, I can barely hit the side of a barn with it. I line up the bottom pin with the target, and some shots are almost in the target area, some arnt, and after collecting my arrows and re-shooting them, again, lining up the bottom pin again with the target I miss by like up to 3 feet...why?

Other questions?

Is there a draw weight I should have my bow set to, I think its about at 50lbs now, I shot it roughly 6 times, couldnt shoot it after that, my arm was to tired.

Last question, what should I put behind my hay bales, I put ply wood, how thick do the wood need to be, my arrows keep going through it or getting stuck, I've already had one practice tip rip itself right out of the shaft when I was pulling it out of the hay bale, the tip is still embedded in there somewhere?

I think thats all for now, thanks.

-J

Last edited by jeffgothro; 12-21-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

There's lots to cover,
Not always so easy to explain in a post,
I recomend going to a shop/range and have someone set you up,
Don't know how pins are set from the factory, but you do have to adjust it to your bow/distance,
Even if your pin is off, you should work on getting a close grouping, even if its 6" high,
When you have your grouping then adjust your pin until that grouping is on target,
And always practice same distance for that pin,

You should be good with a 50# bow,
If your getting sore after 6 arrows, could be your form, holding bow too tight, or bow may not be 50#,
Holding bow too tight could also throw off your groupings, is bow resting on forward hand? Or are you grabbing/holding the bow?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK, It sounds t me like this is your first time with a bow. Your best bet is what notmyname said. Go to a pro shop. Have them look at your bow and see if it set up properly and a good shop will help you tune it and check your shooting form. If you don't have a good shop around, download the Easton tuning guide and read it. Also read the 2 sticky post at the top of this fourm (excellent info). And don't try shooting into hay bales. Go get yourself a portable arrow stop. Even a cheapo one from Wal-mart will do for now. As for your draw weight, it depends on what your bows weight range is. Do not back out the limb screws too far or you will have a serious problem (normally max is about 5-7 full turns from bottomed out - read your manual). If you're having difficulty drawing your bow and it is at its lowest setting, you will need to build up your muscles. Ten shots a day for about a month or so will get you stronger. Even if you have to stand 10 feet from the target. As for you sights, you move the front sight in the direction you are missing. (if you are shooting low, lower the front sight.) you use the top pin for the closest range so slide the entire sight bracket down if you are shooting low with the top pin.
Good luck and ask away - we are here to help
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is that a $1000 or so bow

"my arm was to(o) tired"

I would be unqualified to answer your question, as I don't use expensive bows, but I've had various strength problems over the years due to illness and muscle weaknesses and I used five pound weights. Cost a mere fraction of a high end bow, but exercising as many days in the week as possible will bring up any strength problem.
Been using them at home for over twenty years.

Never heard of a non-shooting expensive bow.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-22-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Spike

I guess I'll just have to take it back to the shop. Wow, only 10 shots a day, I was hoping for 50-100 perhaps. Here is a photo I took today of my form since a couple of you asked about it.

As far as getting stronger, thats not going to happen, I have an unusually high metabolisim and I've been skinny all my life, I'm built like a woman, and probably only marginally stronger, I have a short torso, and long legs and arms, if the draw weight is to much for me at 40lbs then I wasted my money I guess. I'm not going to get any bigger or stronger (believe me, I've tried).

Form:

Skinny:

Old 12-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

Might be as simple as your draw length is too long,
When your fully extended hard to get that final pull,
Try shortening the draw length yourself, or have a shop do it,
As for strength, build doesn't matter, as your using muscles most people don't use in every day activities.
You don't need to work on brute strength, but on those specific muscles.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well right off the bat I can see a couple problems. Like notmyname said, looks as though your draw length is too long. There should be a slight bend in your left arm. You don't lock your elbow as it transfers torque into the bow which ruins accuracy. Your draw weight should be light enough that you can point the bow at the target and come to full draw without any strain. It also appears to me that your anchor point is too highand your right hand incorrectly positioned. Your hand should be rotated so that the back of your hand is against your cheek. I like to place the first knuckle of my index finger (where the finger and hand meet) right in the groove behind my jawbone. It gives me a solid consistant anchor.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Spike

Well, that sucks, I tried shooting with my left arm slightly bent, like the bow shop suggested, it felt strange, I didnt feel like I had full control of the bow, and it felt like it was more difficult to keep my arm still enough to aim for a decent shot, it feels un-natural. It sounds as though your saying the palm of my hand should be facing outward (facing you, as you view the photo)....I just stuck my hand up to my face in the manner and position your suggested, that also felt strange and un-natural.

Might be something I'll have to work on or try to get used to I guess. About what the other guy said about muscles....I hear that, my arms were a little sore the day after shooting, muscles I hadn't used or used to being sore.

Last edited by jeffgothro; 12-23-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes with shooting a bow, you use muscles you rarely use. Try not to use all arm muscles. Use our back muscles and sort of 'roll' your shoulders to help come to fulldraw. As for your drawing hand, no not your palm directly away from your face. More of about a 45* angle. Something that's comfortable for you
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Spike

Are you using a peep on the string? with you anchoring so high it could be throwing your sight picture through it off. Try lowering your anchor where the string crosses the corner of your mouth. That could give you a truer sight picture through your peep. Could it be a fletching clearance issue? Are they looking wavy and marked up? That and a good tune should have you sorted out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.