Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bowstring wax

Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Spike

Default bowstring wax

I have always just used a stick of white "bowstring wax", just generic simple stuff on my string. A friend of mine says that this is old school, and that I should be using some stuff in a green tube made by "bohning", because it has silicone in it, which protects the string better from moisture. This was news to me so I thought I'd ask you guys, what do you think? Also, how often do you apply wax to the string if you're pulling it back/shooting maybe 15 arrows a week?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

i use regular Bohning wax white tube with a red cap.

I shoot all year long and will clean up my strings and rewax them several times a year.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper

I shoot all year long and will clean up my strings and rewax them several times a year.
X2 for me. Have the same stick I bought 15 years ago. Works fine. One tip is to use a hair dryer to melt the wax into the string. Works better than friction.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Spike

Great tip, thanks guys
Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always used bee's wax. Works great. The hair dryer works too.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest you pay a visit to www.bcyfibers.com. This is one of the two major manufacturers of string material. Thety have their own brand of string wax, but the general recommendation is to use newer waxes with silicon. Now I ask. Who would know better than those who manufacture the string material.

There are a lot of waxes with silicon. Some of the better ones are White Lightning, Black Lightning, String Snot, Scorpion Venom, and others. Personally I've been using BCY ML6 for nearly 20 years.

Your question about how frequent to wax is always up for debate. I shoot in the neighborhood of 8000 shots a year and wax about 3 times each year. I honestly believe many people wax their strings more than necessary and put too much wax on too boot. Wax should not be caked on nor shoould the string be dry to the touch. The whole idea of the wax is to penetrate the fibers (strands) and keep abrasion to a minimum. Too much wax does nothing more than give dirt or grit something to stick to which eventually gets rubbed into the string causing shortening of their useful life.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the link BGfisher..
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Spike

Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Spike

i use regular Bohning wax white tube with a red cap
Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I am sure that the wax you currently use is good... I would say that using a wax with silicone would not hurt a thing and could be a little helpful... because the silicone is designed to provide extra waterproofing... Which is what we want right???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.