Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bowstring wax

Old 12-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Fork Horn

The wax is to prevent the inner fibers from wearing aginst each other and to provide some degree of protection from abrasion (dirt, rough surfaces) to the string. Todays fibers are synthetic and will not soak up moisture like older natural fibers. And using a hair dryer is not recomened by anyone in the bow/string industry! The intense heat WILL heat string and WILL cause stretch, so if early string replacement is your goal whip out the Vidal Sasson and get to stylin' Todays strings will last the lifetime of the bow within normal use without abuse.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

The regular bohning is now coming in a all red tube if that is the way you choose to go. When I got my new Martin Cougar this year I started going with the silicone. Can't say that I see a difference.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah, X2 on not using a hair dryer.