Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Question on Arrow Spine? >

Question on Arrow Spine?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question on Arrow Spine?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question on Arrow Spine?

My Gran daughter is shooting a Martin single came bow at 50 peak at 27" draw,she using a 8.4 grain easton shaft with 2" blazer vanes.
I was over at the easton chart say at that set up she should be shooting a 500 at 7.1 grains.
I also see on the chart the 400 shaft is a cross over at 51 lbs mark .
I wonder is she should stay with the 8.4 grain at 28" or switch to the lighter 7.1 for a little more speed for deer hunting
will the 500 shaft be a little under-spine
yep she shoot a release
400 shaft fly 20 yard bare shaft like a dime :I wonder how the 500 will work>
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Spike

is she shooting the ACC pro. if so its a 440 spine and should be pretty right on for spine. If her true draw is 27 inches her arrows could be cut a inch or 2 shorter than 28 if you are that worried about speed. Here in New England I wont have many shots over 40 yards so speed isn't a huge issue for me. my draw is 30 inches but my arrows are 29 inches. I have a drop away rest and the end of my arrow ( with out point or broadhead) is about an inch in front of my rest. that is a good way to get the shortest and safest arrow for your set up. Hope this hepls!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is the bow peaked out at 50# or is she shooting something less. I have a Martin Monster Buckhunter 35-50# and have it set up for my daughter-in-law at 35#. She is shooting 28" Gold Tip 35-55 arrows with excellent flight. (I shot these arrows with the bow peaked at 50# also with great flight.)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

yer not really gonna gain that many fps..if 5fps. i agree, maybe cut em down a lil if ya HAVE to. if yer bull'in every shot inside 35 yards, she'll be ok.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Spike

The heavier shaft will carry more energy. Speed isn't always best. If it shoots good stick with it.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

More than likely she will not be making a shot at a deer more than 30 yrds out and more like 25 yrds and under. Shot placement is far more important than gaining a little speed at that distance. If she's shooting good with the set-up she is using now I would stick with it. Experiment with other options after the season is over....she'll kill a deer with it the way it is now, just keep her practicing every chance she gets.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have good flying arrows stick with them , allways better to have the stiffer spine when close to the limits , her arrows are already pretty lite , with low poundage and short draw a slightly heaver arrow is a benefit for hunting , it transfers energy better , a fixed deadly sharp 2 blade head is a suggestion also , and limmit shots to as close as possible