Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

draw length

Old 09-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default draw length

How does one know if the draw length is to short or to long?

Without going to the pro shop and having someone tell me right or wrong. I want to know if it is right or wrong and why!

I think my current length is to short but a co-worker who is an archer thinks it is to long!

How do I know?
Old 09-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: draw length

I like you had to find out by feel alone. Mine is perfect now. Too short, and I felt I had to use a lot of muscle tension to hold full draw for extended periods. Too long and I felt like I was spread out, my bow arm being uncomfortably straight and again muscle tension was involved.

Now, I settle in, and like the baby bears bed, it feels jusssst right. I can hold much steadier and am using my skeletal structure to my advantage, not my musculature. Back arm elbow is pointing straight down the arrow line, really really comfortable.

Find this zone, and you' ll know. An easy way to change things around is if your release (assuming you use one) allows adjustments to shorten and lengthen it. The scott mongoose I was using gave me a full inch to play with, in 1/2" increments, so I was able to test 3 different lengths without touching m bow. Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:26 PM

what kind of bow do u shoot some have cams u can shorten without needing a press or anything and u can just play with the diff lengths to see which one feels right u will b able to hold steadier right off the bat but here is a something that helps me get draw length pretty close useually within 1/2' '

stand staight up with ur back to a wall stretch ur arms out to each side just bring them up like a airplane but not high enough to roll ur shoulders up keep the shoulders down have someone mark the tips of ur fingers and then measure between the marks and devide by 1/2

if u have broad shoulders deduct some
long fingers deduct
short fingers add some **
here r some measurements i already have so u dont have to divide

arm span on the left draw on the right
67' -26' ' 68' -261/2 69-27 70-271/2 71-28 72-281/2 73-29 74-291/2 75-30 and so on and so on hope this helps clay

Old 09-10-2003, 09:46 PM

Go into full draw and have someone measure the length from knok to arrow rest and add 1" . Worked great for me....
Old 09-11-2003, 10:59 AM

Keep your bow shoulder low. If it comes up, and you' re over extended, it will feel uncomfortable, and you' ll have problems with the bow moving to the left (for right handed shooters) as you release, throwing your arrows that way also. There should be enough " slack" in your bow arm to " push" the bow straight toward the target upon release.

If you do the same, and you have to rotate your release shoulder in, then it' s too short. Your elbow of your shooting hand should be almost straight back, in line with the arrow, but not quite. You want it to wind up straight back upon release. So if you start with it straight back and it moves beyond that upon release, you tend to also move your bow arm to the left, again sending the arrow to the left. Of course, all of this is based off my experience shooting fingers, and letting my hand slide back along my face.

That' s been my experience anyway.