Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 mathews shooters 8/4/03 >

mathews shooters 8/4/03

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mathews shooters 8/4/03

Old 09-01-2003, 05:44 PM

Default mathews shooters 8/4/03

I thought that the advantage of a single cam bow was that you didn' t have to worry about timing? I own a mathews legacy and mathews doesn' t say anything about timing or staging just to bottom the limb bolts and then back off each the same amount. Being the curious person that I am though I checked my bow and there seems to be 3/8 of an inch differance from one end to the other along the straight edge and it seems to be in the direction of under rotated. Please help a newby to find the light.

Thanks
Chip
Old 09-01-2003, 06:07 PM

Default RE: mathews shooters 8/4/03

Don' t hear any problems about that with the lx [>:] Maybe your string is stretched. I think you will take my advice at face value (that is, it ain' t worth much, but I wasn' t using it)
Old 09-01-2003, 09:31 PM

I think if you read the manual again you will see that they are talking about a Tiller adjustment.

Single Cam bows can lose time, but it effects your bow in a much different way then a 2 cam bow. As your Mathews loses time you will lose draw weight and speed.

Find a good bow tech and he will be able to show you how to check time on your bow. Its easy, but I don' t think I could describe it in a couple sentances.

Dan
Old 09-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you are trying to check tiller and the tiller on 1 cams is not checked to the string.You need to run a piece of string from 1 axle to the other and check to the string that runs between the axles.

If you still see a 3/8" difference when checking this way with the limbs bottomed out,then you have a very week limb.But I don' t think there is a problem.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:42 AM

TFOX thanks for the tip as this is the way I do check the tiller but what I was using is the two pin holes in the cam and a straight edge. Dan also thanks for the help and I think that is what I am going to do this morning take it back to the dealer and have them run me through the process.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

cweeks,
I single cam doesn' t go out of time. What some refer to as " timing" is actually cam position, and it is what the two holes in the cams are used for. As far as tiller, I' ve always done what Mathews has suggested, and just bottomed out the limb bolts, then backed out equal turns. Perhaps it won' t measure in the tradition method of measuring tiller, but this might be something inherent to the bow' s design.
Good Luck,
Charlie
Old 09-04-2003, 04:35 PM

This is what mathews sent me when I questioned them about timing or staging on my legacy, and asked how much difference between one end and the other before I should worry about adjusting. They also sent me a diagram with the diffent cams and I would be happy to e-mail it to anyone that wants it but it is to big to upload on this reply.

Chip. you want it as close as you can get, yet it is not a science, thanks

Bob Jenkins
Warranty/Tech
Mathews Inc.
608-269-2728