Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

spine issue

Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default spine issue

I want to see if someone can help me a bit.
Over the years I've used a couple different arrows, all basically the same spine and weight shooting 100 gr broadheads, from a 62# single cam compound at 28" draw. I still have a hand full of ACC 390 and Beman 400 that shoot identical. They are virtually the same spine and weight, at least close enough that they shoot the same for my ability. Anyway, I wanted to play around with a broadhead that is big, wide, and heavy (165gr landshark). The first time I shot them they went way right. At 20 yds the ACCs hit about 10-12" right and the Bemans about 8-10". Yikes! The difference probably due to the fact that the ACCs are a composite so they behaved slightly different. Anyway, I first thought this big head was plaining, but they were grouping, so I realized that this heavy head was affecting the spine, giving me too weak a spine.
My general question is, what spine should I try now...340 or maybe even 300? I don't want to waste money on arrows that won't work.
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Also, I've been trying to find a spine calculator that take into consideration the broadhead weight, which does change things.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Easton Shaft Selector indicates 340 should be about right. I was not able to select 165 for a point weight, so I used 150, with a 29 inch carbon arrow, and a single cam bow weight of 61-66 lbs.

Don't worry if they do not shoot exactly where your current field tips shoot, as I'd imagine you will also switch to heavier field points.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 05-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Spike

Get ot2 and run it through that. Or tell me what kind of bow it is and year and I will run it for you. I shoot 175gr heads out of a 60lb bow so your set up could be sort of similar to mine, but I really need the above info to be certain. It would also be good for me to know what vane you want to use.