Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does a whisker biscuit make my arrow lose speed? >

Does a whisker biscuit make my arrow lose speed?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does a whisker biscuit make my arrow lose speed?

Old 08-28-2003, 09:58 PM

Default Does a whisker biscuit make my arrow lose speed?

Would speed loss, if any, make a difference? Also, how are they as far as fine tuning? I' m looking into getting one and I' m still not sure I' m going to.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:19 AM

Default RE: Does a whisker biscuit make my arrow lose speed?

SLIGHT spped loss...nothing HUGE though.
If you take your time they can be tuned to shoot well enough for many.
There is also the matter of feather wear...or vane wear.
MANY who have them love them....I PERSONALLY prefer a drop away.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I am with Mahly on the Drop Away... I tired a wisker for the first time this year, and took it back... It' s too loud (for me) when drawing the arrow through it and I have enough trouble with cutting feathers with my broadheads, I don' t need anything else messing up my feathers. Plus it hits the feathers, I have been taught to tune a rest so Nothing touches those feathers durning flight... Can' t beat the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone... Sweetest Rest I have ever shot...
Old 08-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on the speed loss issue. There is some but whether or not it is significant depends on your perspective towards speed. I do not have exact figures at this time though I plan on changing that this weekend. However, just using a 10 fps figure as a reference...to some that 10 fps might seem significant if they spent much of their time and resources trying to wriggle every ounce of speed out of their setup that they can. On the other hand, I am sure there are folks that do not feel 10 fps is much to loose at all for the benefits that the Whisker Biscuit offers.

On a side note, I am really surprised to hear the above comment about noise...I thought it was relatively quiet.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

It is quiet Frank. I' ve found them to be more noisy if using aluminum arrows, but with carbons they are nice. Speed differential is about 5-7 feet. Not enough to worry about.

I have also found no tuning trouble with them, even tho I was taught not to have my vanes touch anything either...live and learn! The reason why they are fine is that all three vanes go through at the exact same time, and repeatability is constant. There is some vane wear, yes, but I have got to say that for HUNTING purposes, this rest has it all. It is easy to tune. It is quiet. (moreso with carbons) It holds your arrow quietly, securely, without dinking around with holders and moleskin everywhere. There are no tubes, lanyards, magnets, cableslides, this, that, or the other to worry about. It is rugged, and simple, and dependable. Yes, it wears vanes OVER TIME. But look at that in perspective--- after you tune your bow, realistically how many shots with broadheads are you actually shooting? Certainly not enough to cry about vanes getting chewed. It is NOT a 3D rest, it is a HUNTING rest. And a darn good one at that IMHO.

I may be pulling my Bodoodle off of my Quest this year myself, even tho that setup is tuned to perfection. Yep, I like ' em.[:-] Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 08-31-2003, 07:11 PM

Put one on my Newberry B1. I fired over 300 shots yesterday with the combo and I can' t say enough good things about the rest and the new bow. I shot only 6 arrows through the day, so they averaged 50 passes through the Biscuit. Using AAE veins they showed no wear at all from the biscuit.

Everybody that shot the bow was shocked how well the Biscuit worked. Two guys are going to buy them after Labor Day. I am buying two more for my kids' bows. What better way to give them confidence than for them not have to worry about keeping the arrow on the rest.

As far as accuracy goes.. I put the Bisquit on my old bow and after a few minutes of tuning I was ready to shoot groups. At 40 yards this bow averaged 3" groups when I did my part. With the biscuit the worst groups were 3" and several 5 shot groups were 2" across. For the first time in my life I was fearing for the safety of my arrows at 40 yards. I ended up shooting 5 spots at this range. This is with the same shooter, same bow. For a guy of my shooting ability this rest actually increased my accuracy.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:47 PM

PINWHEEL 12,,,Your loseing 5 to 7 fps.???,,That seems alittle high.It' s not that high with a trimmed bisket and strait fletch,,is it ?.Has anyone, who uses the WB, checked/compared at all ??.

For the record,,,I switched to bemans and the WB about a month ago.NO REASON to look back.I love this thing.This,not so old{38}dog has learned a " new" trick.I' m starting to see the " light" ..............If you can' t beat em,shoot what they shoot[:-]
Old 09-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Droptines-

Yes, with full helical and nothing trimmed, I lose 6 fps. With straight fletch you should not lose quite that much. Doesn' t matter anyway, you' re hunting-- set the sights after you tune the bow, and really, you will not notice 5-7 feet anyway if you don' t run it through a chrono. I don' t. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 09-01-2003, 09:26 AM

i shoot a wb and love it . but i would not say that if i was shooting alumin. arrows. they work great for carbon get the alumin. bisket for the carbon less or no noise.
and for speed i lost about 5 fps on my setup
Old 09-01-2003, 04:15 PM

I have found the speed lose to be less than 1% with the stock biscuit and half of that if you trim the biscuit flat on one side. This rest responds well to fine tuning.It is very important that you use the correct spine arrow for the bow when you use this rest. Lightly spined arrows will bend and flex into the bristles of the rest, this will scrub speed and rip the fletching. Too tight of a biscuit will scrub speed and the fletching. The rest will perform best with the biscuit parallel to the bowstring. The arrow should be nocked at 90degrees to the bowstring with the bow at an even tiller. On most right-handed bows the nock travels forward and 1/8" to the left so the rest will probably end up shooting best an 1/8" left of center. If you tune the bow and rest together with the correct spine arrows your broadheads and fieldtips will hit in the same hole. Good luck hunting!