Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hunting arrows

Old 08-28-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Hunting arrows

I have 2 dozen arrows( ics camo hunters) w/ G5 BH they all spin great but the problem I' m having is this 6 out of 24 of my arrows goes where I put the pin on the rest of them are about 6 to eight inches to the right. last month they all were pretty much consistent with each other any where from 1 to 3 inches , I' m assuming that it was me. but now I don' t know what the heck is going on. now remember they all passed the spin test. Is it me or does anybody know what it might be the problem. this is really frustrating me.[:@]

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 08-29-2003, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting arrows

I' m assuming you' ve numbered them and tracked them accordingly to make sure it isn' t a form issue...

One of the reported issues with ics carbons is their tendency to change spine over time with lot' s of target impact, making them fly differently enough to be noticeable. Perhaps this is what is going on...
Old 08-29-2003, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m curious to know how you got 2 doz shafts to spin great! In my 5 or so years of carbons I have never gotten a whole dozen to spin great.[:@] I agree with Rangeball that carbons generally " lose" spine as they are used. How often are they shot? Did you re-spin them to make sure nothing got bent?
Old 08-29-2003, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like fletch contact to me
Old 08-29-2003, 07:58 AM
nub

Ouch, you bought 2 dozen G5' s?[]
Old 08-29-2003, 08:34 PM

I agree with the impact. I was dead on at 30 yard with all six of my hunting arrows and then all of the sudden I had one consistant flyer. Knowing that it hadn' t hit anything but the 3-D target, it really started to bother me. I put the arrow on my bench and it had bent just enough that you couldn' t see it unless it was rolled across a flat surface.
B
Old 08-29-2003, 10:23 PM

I shoot probably about 8 of them more than others, I have a MZE so no contact at all, Got family who owns a shop, (family discount) But I did not know that they lose spine the more you shoot them thanks for the heads up on that. I did a spin test on them again and noticed that some of them had a slight wobble to them so I changed around some of the heads and I noticed the same wobble. but would a slight wobble throw the arrow off that much? I have a right helical vanes on them. Could the prob. be that when i put the inserts in I did not use power bond on these arrows like i would normally. and the repeated impact of the arrow loosened up the inserts enough to cause a problem?

P.S. bear hunting starts on MON.[8D]

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)[8D]
Old 08-31-2003, 07:40 PM

A bent arrow with a broadhead CAN fly quite poorly.
With a drop away rest, spine isn' t QUITE as important as it once was...but still somewhat important.
Carbon arrows CAN loose SOME spine after repeated shooting....but aluminum is just as bad if not worse (bast bow limbs you saw made of aluminum??? )
MY GUESS....the bad arrows are probably slightly bent .
Old 08-31-2003, 08:53 PM

I did a spin test on them again and noticed that some of them had a slight wobble to them so I changed around some of the heads and I noticed the same wobble. but would a slight wobble throw the arrow off that much?
When I find a wobbler it moves to the target arrow pile. I have found it hard to make a quiver full of broadheads out of arrows that have been shoot at targets over and over. You might find it easier to start with new arrows when setting up the quiver. If you are lucky you will get 4-6 new arrows to spin well with BH' s out of a new dozen, use the rest for plinking.

Dan