Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Chapstick as string wax ? >

Chapstick as string wax ?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Chapstick as string wax ?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Spike

Default Chapstick as string wax ?

would chapstick work as a wax for my bow string cause i just got done shooting and i dont have any wax and i normally like to wax after every shooting session
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Would give it a nice cherry or strawberry smell. Might be on to something as a new cover scent. But seriously, bow wax is a much thicker consistency so I would pass on the chapstick. If you do wax regularly, your string will be fine until you can get some. If you were joking then disregard my post.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AvidHunter100
would chapstick work as a wax for my bow string cause i just got done shooting and i dont have any wax and i normally like to wax after every shooting session
You do not need to wax after every practice session If you take care while shooting and case your bow when not shooting you should only have to wax a string about once a month.

As an example, I have cut down a lot, but still fire about 5,000 to 8,000 shots a year out of a bow; competitively and hunting. I find it necessary to wax the string about 3 or 4 times a year.

Wax is not supposed to be caked on the outside of the string. It's primary purpose is to be rubbed (burnished) into and between the strands to create lubrication so they don't abrade each other. This also enough wax to keep out moisture. Excess wax on the outside of the string does little more than attract and hold dust, dirt, and other debris which in time abrades the strands.

If you wax properly and then some fuzzies appear there is enough wax in the string that some rubbing between the thumb and index finger will create enough heat to get some wax to the surface.

Last edited by BGfisher; 03-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Well put BG.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Never used chapstick for my lips

The last fifteen years I've used
Bohning Tex-Tite Bowstring Wax

And they still sell it for under $5.00 a tube.

And I keep the bows and the strings longer than most.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
The last fifteen years I've used
Bohning Tex-Tite Bowstring Wax

And they still sell it for under $5.00 a tube.

And I keep the bows and the strings longer than most.
I know there's a lot of it sold and used, but to me it's too much like candle wax. There are better, softer waxes today. There's Scorpion Venom, White Lightning, Black Lightning, even 10 pt. crossbow wax is good. I've been using BCY ML6 for about 15 years now. I think I'm on my second tube now.

Check with www.bcyfibers.com and www.brownellarchery.com have to say. They make the string material so they know what to recommend.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 AM
ck3
Spike

No problems with Chapstick in a pinch. Read on another site old timers use it all the time.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

if thats all you have go for it but dont use it every time try getting parafin wax from store last longer in a big block. also get a piece of leather or old shooting tab to rub in the wax you can heat the wax without giving yourself a blister
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I like Scorpion...but have used chapstick in a pinch....actually prefer it to candle wax because its softer and soaks in better.