HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Chapstick as string wax ?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AvidHunter100
would chapstick work as a wax for my bow string cause i just got done shooting and i dont have any wax and i normally like to wax after every shooting session
You do not need to wax after every practice session If you take care while shooting and case your bow when not shooting you should only have to wax a string about once a month.

As an example, I have cut down a lot, but still fire about 5,000 to 8,000 shots a year out of a bow; competitively and hunting. I find it necessary to wax the string about 3 or 4 times a year.

Wax is not supposed to be caked on the outside of the string. It's primary purpose is to be rubbed (burnished) into and between the strands to create lubrication so they don't abrade each other. This also enough wax to keep out moisture. Excess wax on the outside of the string does little more than attract and hold dust, dirt, and other debris which in time abrades the strands.

If you wax properly and then some fuzzies appear there is enough wax in the string that some rubbing between the thumb and index finger will create enough heat to get some wax to the surface.

Last edited by BGfisher; 03-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.